Shop made, homemade drill press.

Coming together , something to be proud of for sure . The big chunk of steel is that Jack hammer bit from a back hoe. I have one that broken out in the shop looks like it. Good hunk of steel isn't it .
Yes it's from an digger jackhammer used for leveling down houses, its quite hard stuff, HSS doesn't cut it at all.

It's been over a week since i've done any work on this project, getting ready for winter and my jobs are keeping me really busy, but today thought i had half an hour to spare so i started on the column clamps for the table and a limiting clamp, i used some thick wall tubing, and need to weld some square stock at the ends to be able to clamp, i'm debating should i use screws with handles, or should i use alen bolts and have a alen key near by ?
DSC_0002.JPG

Today i was in the garage welding so i did some work on this project also, first thing i did is to find a piece to weld to the slave i made last time, i did lots of graining on the edges to get decent penetration and welded it on, then i moved on the drill table holder, i welded all three detents, then i moved to another project, more to come.
DSC_0062.JPG
DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0058.JPG

Nothing of value to contribute but know that I highly approve. To build a viable machine of any type and do it essentially from nothing but scrap is the mark of a true "artificer".

I would like to pass on a chuckle if I may..... (This can be deleted if you find it offensive) I had the pleasure to work with an older electronics repairman in a steel mill for several years. He was a first generation Puerto Rican and very good at his job. Also a good friend to me personally. He referred to a mill file as a Puerto Rican milling machine. I found the reference amusing once he put it in perspective. In his home city, young men did what was necessary to keep an automotive engine running. They didn't have access to machine tools but got the job done anyway. For this, I complement them no end.

And to you, Sir, I also complement for building what you need with what you can lay your hands on. And would volunteer some parts if it were a smaller project. That big, though, I'll just have to watch and comment. I realize I found this a little late but still find it worthy of comment.

Bill Hudson​

Thank you Bill, i fully understand what you mean, my situation ain't like that, i appreciate a good challenge and before i started my third job i had some free time so i started a bunch of projects to challenge myself, i do some work on all of them but now i have very little free time, in fact i average 3-4 hours sleep during the week, no worries i'll be back to do some work on the base early next month.

late last night i did some work on the chop saw i'm building, link: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-build-beast-of-a-chop-saw.66035/

Goce​

This build got sidetracked little because of 6-70 hours overtime a week i've been working for the last few mounts, but today i may have bought a piece that would save me lots of time and make this build much simpler, i bought this MT2 DUSS DUAX 4 speed drill 1250W, i spent lots of time, money and materials on building my own spindle and pulleys which i'll keep and maybe put them together for a second head for this drill press when i have more time and need, i always intended for this build to have the capability to run low speed high torque for larger holes and i may end up buying a bench top drill press for the smaller stuff.
DSC_0303.JPG
DSC_0305.JPG
DSC_0308.JPG

That Duss drill is a brilliant drill! Worth a fortune!
I have one and use it a lot attached to a magnetic stand. NOTHING will stop it.
Oh, mine is a similar model to yours from the early 1970s. Duss still has EVERY part as spares!!!! (I contacted them)

That Duss drill is a brilliant drill! Worth a fortune!
I have one and use it a lot attached to a magnetic stand. NOTHING will stop it.
Oh, mine is a similar model to yours from the early 1970s. Duss still has EVERY part as spares!!!! (I contacted them)

I have only good experience with german tools particularly Duss, i've never had one fail on me, i found this brochure for my drill , surprising how expensive it is, i'll keep my eye open for more on the tool market.
s-l1600.jpg

So wait, how did we make the jump from "Duax" to "Duss"?
Is it a language thing, or regional knowledge?
Or you guys just know your tools?

Thanks for any clarifications!
-brino

Duss is the manufacture, Duax is the model, the drill has both names on it, my label is little dirty, here is another one from the net you can more clearly see the DUSS in red.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back