Shop made insert tool holders

ChrisAttebery

Rocket Nerd
Registered
Disclosure: Like a lot of you I machine parts to pay for my hobby. If I wind up making these I will probably put them on my web store and eBay.

Every time I work on my lathe I wish I had a couple more tools available. The other day I was counting up the toolholders I'd need and realized that I could probably cut that number down by making up some double ended tool insert tools. You could use a turning tool in the normal orientation and a facing tool with the toolholder turned 90 degrees. I thought I'd start with a simple right hand turning and facing holder with zero lead angle. I might add a 3 degree relief angle to this. The tool is 5.5" long so there would be 1" overhang on each end of a BXA tool holder.

Next up will be a left hand turning tool but I'm not sure what to combine it with. Maybe an insert held at an angle so that you could chamfer with it?

Attachments

• Double Ended 90 Degree TCGT 1_2 v4.jpg
    Double Ended 90 Degree TCGT 1_2 v4.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 90
I've been thinking about welding up a double ended SPG insert holder with inserts at 45 deg. for turning, facing and chamfering.

When you do, take some pics because I think it would be great to face and flip to chamfer. I always struggle with that one.

When you do, take some pics because I think it would be great to face and flip to chamfer. I always struggle with that one.

After looking a little, I find that the SPG inserts are out of favor. The SCMT is happening now. I'm thinking 2 of these:

1583276882527.png

Look for the tools that Tom Lipton & Stefan Gotteswinter made/use. I use a similar tool but with SCMT/SCGT inserts. Can face & chamfer with the same tool, no need to change orientation. I just got me a second one last week. The same tool orientation is also available for use with SNMG inserts but I prefer using positive inserts.

20190516_141414.jpg
20200303_205440.jpg

I find that the SPG inserts are out of favor

SPU/SPG inserts are still in production & can be found for cheap now since they have been around forever. Many milling tools that use them seem to be no longer made new though. My chamfering machine uses SPU inserts. I just bought a few packs of SPG inserts last week, name brand USA for $20 per 10.

SPU/SPG inserts are still in production & can be found for cheap now since they have been around forever. Many milling tools that use them seem to be no longer made new though. My chamfering machine uses SPU inserts. I just bought a few packs of SPG inserts last week, name brand USA for $20 per 10.

Yes, I know they are still available. However, I just ordered 2 of the holder shown in my previous post and 10 SCMT09T308 inserts for less than $20.

Are you milling the pocket with the angled relief to match the insert bevel? That's what was stalling me for some shanks I wanted to make. I've since found some reasonably priced tapered end mills on Ebay or Ali. I think they are used in the mold making trade & come in different flavors.

I’ve put this on the back burner for right now. Were in the middle of repainting our house so I haven’t had a lot of free time lately. I did buy a 1/4” shank 4 flute carbide tapered end mill off eBay to do the edge of the pockets though. Hopefully I’ll get back to this project soon.

Do those of you that make your own tool holder harden them? What type of steel do you use?

Back