Shop made insert tool holders

Here's another tool I'm considering based on some of the suggestions in this thread. This is a double ended CCGT tool. The turning side has the insert at a 40 degree lead angle for turning and chamfering. The facing side has the insert at a 0 degree lead angle. It might be better if it had a -5 degree lead so it could be used to face and turn to a journal.

Double Ended 40 Degree CCGT.jpg

Do those of you that make your own tool holder harden them? What type of steel do you use?

I'm not planning to harden mine. For the amount of use I'll get out of them I don't think it will be a problem. I might blue them to keep them from rusting. I've been debating using CRS or buying 12L14 or 1215. I'm open to input on the material choice.

Chris, check out jazzd4golf on ebay. He sells a great variety of insert screws & tool holder hardware for excellent prices. All the screws I've purchased from him so far are great quality.

Chris, most likely you're doing this because you want to (and who wouldn't? I have a couple on the list too) but standard CCxT holders can turn and face in the same set up. I have a couple of center CCxT holders (SCLMN?) for beveling which work really nice, but be aware that they're limited on the ID of tubes they can bevel as the heal of the tool hits the ID of the tube. I bought a small TCxT boring bar (looks a bit like a threading tool) to do those.

Chris, check out jazzd4golf on ebay. He sells a great variety of insert screws & tool holder hardware for excellent prices. All the screws I've purchased from him so far are great quality.

Thanks for the lead darkzero. I already ordered some from Carbide Depot, but I've saved his store on eBay for next time.

Chris, most likely you're doing this because you want to (and who wouldn't? I have a couple on the list too) but standard CCxT holders can turn and face in the same set up. I have a couple of center CCxT holders (SCLMN?) for beveling which work really nice, but be aware that they're limited on the ID of tubes they can bevel as the heal of the tool hits the ID of the tube. I bought a small TCxT boring bar (looks a bit like a threading tool) to do those.

Yes, at this point I'm doing this because I can and not because I need to. I probably should just make myself a set of CCGT toolholders RH -5 degree, RH +5 degree, 40 degree, LH +5 degree, RH -5 degree. In reality there aren't a lot of combinations you can double up.

I'm not planning to use these for ID chamfering.

being able to chamfer the OD and ID of a piece in the same op is pretty useful...

I ran a test piece last night from some scrap HRS. It looks pretty good, but I won't know for sure until I get the tapered end mill early next week.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7488.jpg

one trick is to layout the screw hole last. Mill the pocket as you see fit, put the insert in and lightly mark the center of the hole. Prick punch a couple of thou towards the outside of the pocket from the center mark. That will help pull the insert tightly against the sides of the pocket.

Back