Shop-made Snake Gun ?

Internet lore abound...

I'm in no way trying to give legal advice, but I've dealt with and build my fair share of firearms. I also happen to live in a very gun-friendly state. Check the ATF website, local and state laws before doing anything.

Federal law states you can make your own firearm as long as it's legal for you to own. It states that you can't make it with the intent of selling it. But you can sell it, trade it or give it away if so desired. Most buyers won't touch a homemade gun though, so the point is probably moot.

Local laws may differ or be more strict than Federal law as well. It gets to be really confusing and there's a lot of gray areas left open to interpretation. And the ATF almost never interprets the law the same as you or me.

As to rifling, all you need is one groove to satisfy the requirement. Twist rate is optional. A straight groove will be impossible to tell apart from a 1-64 twist, for example.

Once you're ready to build, they Flat Spot is a great place to get kits for the derringer style pistols. Also, WeaponsGuild.com is a great source for info, build tutorials, vendors, etc... http://www.weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php

Don't get me wrong, I like a good project and guns make it even better.
I just never could figure why folks wanted a gun, for something you could kill with a stick?

Js , have you ever tried to kill a rattle snake? A base ball bat may work if your a good hitter. But don't strike out at something that strikes back quicker then you can re swing. Unless your kung fooy with super reflexes , you want that snake gun. Sometimes there's more then one too. I have some rattles that are two inches long and I live in the garbage state. Lost a rabbit dog to them bas turds.

Saw a rattlesnake sunning on the road once while driving on a backroad. There were houses near enough and I knew kids would catch the schoolbus along that road. I ran over that snake half a dozen times and didn't kill it. If I'd had a snake gun or plain ol' square shovel I'd of finished the job. But since I didn't, it lived on.

A shovel maybe. Stick? No way! Unless the stick is 20 feet long. A snake gun is the best snake medicine

Whether it's homebuilt or store bought, it's the only way to insure you come out on the winning end of that encounter.

Re: Straight rifling; They HAD those on a few English made shot guns I have seen,made in the 18th. C.. I guess they thought straight grooves for some of the balls to rest in,would make them shoot straighter.

I also saw a "rifle",looked like a Stevens. Falling block,if I recall correctly. I was about 17 at the time. Neither I,nor the gunsmith who owned the gun had any idea why the grooves were straight. Now,I know it was actually a shot gun of about 38 caliber. Pretty rare gun.

My dad was scared to death of them,made no difference what kind they were either. I have seen him chop them up and throw in the burn barrel when I was a kid.
I have fooled with them since I was around 11-12. Rattle snakes and copper heads around here. Not in great abundance as some places. Oh sure I will get to "high stepping"'when out in the timber and step on a stick and it wiggles or rears up in front of me. I just don't tease them for the most part.
I was around some guys from Oklahoma that went to Texas on those rattle snake roundups. The stories the could tell! And nope I am not doing that or noodling for fish.
Fishing buddy works in the ER as an RN. Copper head and rattle
Snake bites are fairly common, around the major summer holidays. He says the little baby ones are worse than the big ones. The big ones will hit and back off. The little ones will hit and dump their whole load while hanging on.
Roaches and serpents have been around a long time.

Save the black King snakes ,Rat snakes they kill the poisonous ones , some are black on yellow
Careful, they all have there purpose. They cure Brest cancer with copperhead venom sometimes.

Back