Shop Made Table for 6x48 Belt Sander

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I ended up with to non-working 6x48 belt sanders.
One is a vintage Delta-Milwaukee with a fence.
The other is a Delta-Rockwell on an OEM stand without a fence or a table.
I was to cheap to purchase an eBay table and trunnion, so I borrowed a table and trunnion and began copying.
I did some design changes as I want to have a fence and table without having to remove one to mount the other. I'll need to learn if this actually works.
If I were to do this over, I might notch the table.
My plan has been to face the currently rounded edge and bolt on a bevel with a recessed socket head allen. It seems that most of the tables I've seen have the bevels unintentionally ground/sanded.
I've been warned that the OEM trunnion is a bad design, the original castings presumably and break crack. I've wondered if this is secondary to using the table as a handle when moving the machine.
Overall the tolerances are pretty loose. The one critical measurement is the crescent shaped plate which I've attached with roll pins and the slot in which the fastening bolt slides.
I didn't actually fit the trunnion which I borrowed to the belt sander before making and taking her off the RT.
I had to remount and take off another .200
I used my shaper and RT and DP to make the trunnion. The additional holes are to attempt to relieve some of the weight.
If anyone wants to attempt this build I have a the other 1/2 of the triangle from the block of steel. Will sell at 1/2 my cost of the whole plus shipping.
If I can get my scanner to work I post a to scale tracing of the trunnion.

Daryl
MN

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg