shop made tooling

H-M experienced a site wide outage on January 23. To the best of our knowledge, the site has been restored up to January 1, 2020. Common problems are going to be missing posts, reverted membership levels and other time related problems that will potentially have been lost between January 1-23.

Please click on this notice to be taken to the Site Support Forum so you can learn more about what happened, what is being done and post a support request so we can help you get your issue resolved.

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I am not sure where to put this but I think it fits here. Many of you know I make my own tooling and my primary reason ( besides I need it) is to show others how to have quality tooling at a low cost. I got an email from someone, don't know if they are on here or another forum I used to belong to, but the email made me angry in the sense they said " you can't make all the stuff you say you made". Short of photos, I would invite anyone to my shop to see for themselves what can be done with very little. These photos are the tooling I have made in the last 6 months ( or at least most of it), and the total cost for material for all this is under $250. that being said , I have access to a lot of scrap at the moment. There are a LOT of hours here also, but I don't count that making for myself.

tooling1.jpg
tooling.jpg
Drill Sharpener 7.jpg

I really don't know what else to say,

Mark Frazier

tooling1.jpg tooling.jpg Drill Sharpener 7.jpg

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Mark, I would say that the person who wrote that email has no confidence in their own ability and is a bit jealous.

Nice looking collection, I wish I had the energy to do all of that.

A

Andre

Forum Guest
Register Today
Why would somebody say that? If you have good tools available and the know-how stuff really doesn't take all that long to make.

Your projects look fantastic, Mark! That's quite the drill sharpening jig!

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Mark, I would not worry about those random obtuse e-mails. Since you are exposing yourself to the worldwide internet. Which means you can find the nicest person on the planet or the biggest jerk or maybe somebody in between those two. And then there is, I call them the “internet authors”, they think they know it all and love to type. I say to them, get a life. Mark, don’t sweat it, keep doing your wonderful tinkering…Good Luck, Dave.

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I suppose you are right, but I don't have the patience for that crap anymore. If I don't like someones postings, I keep my mouth shut and go on my way (unless they attack me personally). I guess ya have to expect this in this day and age though. I don't steal, I don't lie, and I will help anyone that asks. that is just how I was brought up.

Mark Frazier

Mark, I would not worry about those random obtuse e-mails. Since you are exposing yourself to the worldwide internet. Which means you can find the nicest person on the planet or the biggest jerk or maybe somebody in between those two. And then there is, I call them the “internet authors”, they think they know it all and love to type. I say to them, get a life. Mark, don’t sweat it, keep doing your wonderful tinkering…Good Luck, Dave.

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Mark---wish I lived closer to you to visit and work on projects--- using our inventories we collected ahead of time--- when they were available---I am 70 tomorrow and really enjoy my shops---friends inspire me of better time usage----you have made very many nice tooling for your shop--thanks for showing them------Dave

Philco

Active User
Registered
Mark, I too have enjoyed seeing you're projects. Please don't get discouraged from one email. Some of you're projects have inspired me to start making plans & gathering the material to start some of my own projects.
Phil.

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
This was just one troll amongst maybe hundreds of admirers of your work, including me, I'm encouraged to try harder and do better after seeing it.

Don't be discouraged, keep up the good work....

Bernard

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
I find it a bit funny. Someone had to make everything.... So why not you? I'm pretty sure we went to space on manual machines so surely a dividing head is not above any of us. Given time, tooling and care anyways. And if I believe I could stumble through it, I know for certain a man of your talent would have no issue.

Rick Leslie

Active User
Registered
I will have to echo the postings above. Once you post on the net, you open yourself to every type of person with a computer. Most are armchair machinists at best and envious trolls at worst. I've been machining for more than 35 years and I still learn something new every day. I enjoy seeing others' work and hearing their methods so please don't stop sharing your talents.

But, if you really want to prove you made these tools, send to me and I'll verify the work. :lmao:

Uglydog

Active User
Your work and postings are inspirational.
Please continue the powerful contributions!

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi Mark,

You can look at it this way for a moment,

A mans worth to himself is greatest of all.
not everyone believes great things can be accomplished with great intention.

i would try to let the haters remarks roll from my back like a duck in the rain.
your work speaks volumes of your abilities and attention to detail.

he ,in all actuality, would not be qualified to carry your jock , so laugh at the diversity when you can:))

chuckorlando

Registered
Registered
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Hi Mark,

You can look at it this way for a moment,

A mans worth to himself is greatest of all.
not everyone believes great things can be accomplished with great intention.

i would try to let the haters remarks roll from my back like a duck in the rain.
your work speaks volumes of your abilities and attention to detail.

he ,in all actuality, would not be qualified to carry your jock , so laugh at the diversity when you can:))

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
We need video proof with all measurements and tooling used ! Lol You don't have to prove anything to anyone .

Waldo1

Registered
Registered
Mark-

Just an echo to what everyone else has already said. Your work speaks for itself and pay no attention to the random BS that gets flung in your direction. I've followed a number of your posts as well as those of other members and there is a common thread to many: If you have a decent set of tools and the skill to use them, then the only limit is your imagination. If you also have an active imagination, then there is no limit to what you can create. Carry on!

gr8legs

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Mark,

I'm a newbie here but your shop-made tooling and obvious skill speak for themselves...

I often remind myself what George Burns said many years ago: "It's no wonder our country is in the state it's in - everyone who really knows how to run it is either cutting hair or driving a taxi."

Paraphrasing to this comment, today we can add to that 'or is in their mother's basement giving advice on machining"

Keep up the good work, we've got your back!

silence dogood

Active User
When my son was 12 years old, his grandfather(a master machinist) taught him lathe work , blacksmithing, etc. One of his first projects was making a cold chisel from scratch. Now about 25 years later, my son now has his late grandfather's Sheldon 10" lathe. He has completely rebuilt that lathe to its original glory. The old man would had been proud. People have asked me; why make a chisel when you can buy one. I tell them; if you have to ask, then there is no point in explaining why. Keep up the good work , Mark.

SG51Buss

Active User
Registered
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

It's actually a compliment when your creations are disbelieved by detractors.

My gadgets are functional, but crude in appearance (I don't do 'pretty'). Hence, more believable.

Your projects look like factory production. Very well done...

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Very very nice work Mark! And don't worry about dislike trolls their 5 percenters anyways. 5% 'ers a term said by high school priciplal back in the 50s thats someone that
amounts to -0-

sam

road

Active User
Registered
Very nice stuff Mark .

I wish I had all the skills n time to take those kind of projects, maybe some day I will.

I met my best friend 6 yrs ago . by posting how to do something on a lathe.
I got a lot of negative replys. But it only took one person to answer with the support to try it.
Since then he has been my machining and fabricating mentor / teacher and eventually my best friend.
Now I have a nicely equipped modest one car garage shop & I find I make my own items as I need them.

The criticism or opinion of another should not deter you, it should inspire you.
Its your satisfaction of your work and yours alone. Thats why we are hobbyists. The shear enjoyment of the work, projects and learning as we go.
I know I am proud of my projects, even after it takes a few tries to get it right.

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
Thank you all for your support. When I was young , I had no patience. I was fighting at the drop of a hat. Now that I am old.... eh .....older, I have much patience but not with....(how to say this politely), negative people. I tend to pull away from negative or bad situations. I just don't want to deal with them anymore I guess. That is why I spend so many hours a day in my shop and I am trying to pass what I know on somehow.

Thank you ,

Mark Frazier :))

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
Mark, there is a bunch of jealous trolls out there that couldn't build swarf. That sort of attitude has reached all the way to the top, with "YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT". Don't let the wannabe's make you think you need to prove a Damn thing. John W

Rick Leslie

Active User
Registered
Is there a way to make a tutorial for each of your projects? I would love to have them in a downloadable format such as pdf. I may be asking the impossible here since I'm a metal and wood hack, not a computer hack.

johnnyc14

Active User
Mark, I enjoy seeing your projects and admire your skills. I even used your plans to build my own tail stock. Keep up the great work and the very informative posts showing your projects.
Cheers,

John

Last edited:

sk1nner

Active User
Registered
I wish I could make half of what you made, half as good as you made it. There are alot of Internet warriors out there, don't let some moron with a keyboard get you down. I'm willing to bet the only machine that person has ran is a TV remote.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I find it a bit funny. Someone had to make everything.... So why not you? I'm pretty sure we went to space on manual machines so surely a dividing head is not above any of us. Given time, tooling and care anyways. And if I believe I could stumble through it, I know for certain a man of your talent would have no issue.
[chuckorlando] sums it up for me. "Someone had to make everything.... So why not you?" I have been greatly humbled and inspired by the work that you and other produce and share. Keep up the work and keep up posting pictures.

Thanks

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
Is there a way to make a tutorial for each of your projects? I would love to have them in a downloadable format such as pdf. I may be asking the impossible here since I'm a metal and wood hack, not a computer hack.
Well, it is not impossible but sure would take a lot of time. Don't know if it would be worth the effort. But, if you make any of my projects, and you let me know you are, I will tell you everything I can and give you any procedures and advice to help you do it more easily and efficiently.

Mark Frazier

Reeltor

Active User
Registered
Mark,

I'd be proud to have any one of your shop made tools in my garage-shop.
Can I ask how does your vice alignment jig work?

Mike

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code