Shop made way wipers for 1340gt

rherrell

Registered
Registered
Since day one I haven't liked the way wipers on the 1340, the do TOO good a job and wipe all the oil off along with the chips. After seeing Will's post about the ones he got from Keith Fenner I decided to attempt to make my own. Mine are a little bit different because I didn't use the existing holes, I didn't like the idea of drilling through the felt, plus the holes on the 1340 are a little too close to the edge for my liking.

I started with some 3/8" Delrin, I used white so I could see my layout lines, and I made some sheet metal patterns...

001.JPG

Then I cut the squares out on my tablesaw...
002.JPG

Next I roughed them out on my bandsaw...
003.JPG

Finished shaping with the mill...
004.JPG

Clearance holes and counterbored for the SHCS's...
005.JPG

Lay out the pockets for the felt...
006.JPG

Mill them out...
007.JPG

Cut the felt...
008.JPG

Drilled and tapped for the 8-32 shcs's
009.JPG

I used some aluminum tape so the chuck wouldn't mess up the ways...
010.JPG

It was close, tore some tape but that's all.

Tapped the holes...
011.JPG

Soaked the felts with way oil....
012.JPG

And the final product...
013.JPG

014.JPG

If you want to do this and not use the factory holes use a small drill, I adapted a 1/4" chuck to fit in my right angle die grinder, all my regular drills were too big and would hit the ways.

That's about it, I hope this helps someone.

On my 'to do' list of hobby projects is some better wipers for my 1340GT. My first instinct was to make some the same size as the current ones, but with a recess for a thin piece of felt. Probably out of brass.

But I have added your design idea as a potential. Would probably be easier... :)

Nice Job!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind.
How much gap did you build in between the delrin and the ways?
How thick was the felt?

These two seem like a tradeoff and I'd like to learn what worked for you.

Thanks,
John

MUCH better! Now there's a constant film of oil on the ways and no more drippy mess!!!

I believe I'll put some on the tailstock, what do you think?

Yup, I think it's a good idea. I've been wanting to add wipers to the tailstock & ever since I put on the felt wipers I really want to now. Just have to find the time.

Nice Job!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind.
How much gap did you build in between the delrin and the ways?
How thick was the felt?

These two seem like a tradeoff and I'd like to learn what worked for you.

Thanks,
John

It appears the way that Keith designed his & is the way I installed them on my lathe was to leave minimal gap between the delrin & the ways. That way they delrin will "wipe" away most of the chips then the felt should take care of anything else & keep the ways wet. Still I'll lay down covering if machining stuff like cast iron or fiber resins, etc. The delrin won't hurt the ways.

Here's my thread on my install. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...or-12x36-import-lathes-by-keith-fenner.57692/

Great job - I like not having to drill the felt, and being able to cut it square on top rather than some weird shape. Nice upgrade - I'm going to copy it in stainless steel. And BTW, mixing imperial screws on a machine with metric screws is not allowed. LOL. Thanks for posting this.

Back