Shop made way wipers for 1340gt

mixing imperial screws on a machine with metric screws is not allowed. LOL.
I agree, total pet peeve of mine. If something has metric fastners, keep it metric & vise versa. Wish some one would make American auto makers comply.

Nice Job!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind.
How much gap did you build in between the delrin and the ways?
How thick was the felt?

These two seem like a tradeoff and I'd like to learn what worked for you.

Thanks,
John
I just eyeballed it but there's about a 1/16" gap between the Delrin and the ways. The felt is 1/4" F-5 grade, I got mine from Zoro Supply.

Nice job. Thanks for taking the time to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one fear the chips may get caught in between the plastic and the ways. Would rubber or something else in front keep them out. Or even double felt maybe. I don't know I just see them getting stuck with my luck. Really I like the idea of uncomplicated design to make them. That I will copy on mine when I'm able.

I have one fear the chips may get caught in between the plastic and the ways. Would rubber or something else in front keep them out. Or even double felt maybe. I don't know I just see them getting stuck with my luck. Really I like the idea of uncomplicated design to make them. That I will copy on mine when I'm able.

That's what I was saying in post #9. I left almost no gap so the delrin would "pre wipe". In my install thread I mentioned that I may try adding a rubber pre wiper inside the housing in front of the felt but so far I haven't seen a need to. But I haven't showered the ways with brass chips yet though.

Just an FYI for those making the holders as a flat plate rather than a housing, punching holes in the felt is really really easy if you have leather hole punches, even the cheap HF ones work perfectly fine.

Back