Shop made workholding clamps - Assembly question

Analias

Active User
Registered
I'm putting together some workholding clamps that I want to use on my CNC mill and CNC router. I'm modeling them after Bob Adams' clamps [1] . Instead of aluminum, I'm cutting them out of 1018 cold roll bar stock for the sides and 12L14 round for spacers and pivot. Bob's design used 8-32 bolts/nuts to hold the clamp together. I can do the same, and even bought additional 1/2 12L14 round to cut them out of. I'm considering alternative approach of simply using a 1/2" spacer drilled for 1/4" and either swaging a brass tube or using a brass pin as a rivet. I was curious if anyone had any alternative ideas?

If your curious how these clamps could be used on my CNC mill and CNC router, I was planning on making two sets of pivots. One drilled for clearance for 1/4-20 bolts for the router CNC router and the other for 3/8-16 bolts for the CNC mill.

-Freeman

My Clamp 4 - Drawing.png
My Clamp 4 - iso.png
My Clamp 4 - side.png

[1] http://www.cad2gcode.com/cncprojects/id14.html

My Clamp 4 - Drawing.png My Clamp 4 - iso.png My Clamp 4 - side.png

Why not make the rollers out of 1018 CRS, turn each end .250 diameter (to fit the side plates) about 3/16 long and plug weld them in place. Sand the sides smooth on a belt sander, or file them. Your clamps will have a clean appearance with no hardware to gather chips. I'm assuming the rollers don't need to turn. If that's the case them trash my idea.

Tom S.

Freeman

One thought. change out the socket head cap screw for counter sunk cap screws and tape one side plate 1/4-20 then you can get right up against a part or slide by the clamp with your milling cutter.

Dave

Here is my take on those clamps

[thread]6647[/thread]

Bodies are aluminum, and the pivots are drill rod. I have grown to love aluminum for clamps because it's soft, and grabs hold pretty good. I think what you have will be fine. As far as attachment, the only issue I can see is the SHCS sticking out the side, they may get in the way sometimes. If you switch to a threaded spacer, and drove flat head machine screws in from either side, you could have a clamp with no protrusions. I would also recommend some loctite; you don't want them rattling apart on you.

You could also get the same effect by swaging or riveting. All depends on where you want to spend your time.

Back