Shop organization....!!!!

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I know we've done tool box organization, wrench organization already. This is different...

Shop organization. This is a topic I struggle with immensely. Call it too little room or lazyness or "I need that and I need it now!"
Everything in my shop has a home, but when I'm in the midst of working, nothing has a home and nothing can be close enough to me.

IMG_20171111_233221.jpgIMG_20171111_233236.jpgIMG_20171111_233259.jpg
I sold my Kenedy copy for this medical cart as it held a lot more stuff, and it's super handy, and for the most part I can keep it organized. Most often than not most tools wind up on the bench directly above.
However, now the mill being on the other side of the garage, THIS is happening...
IMG_20171111_233317.jpg

I'm not proud of that.
I plan on making a bunch of holders for various collets, drills, end mills, etc. But never enough time in the day.

Same with stock storage, just a pile...
IMG_20171111_233307.jpg

What are everyone's methods, tricks, habits, for keeping things organized WHILE you work...

Seems my garage goes through a bi weekly overhaul clean up.

I solve the tool storage issue by using lots of tool boards. Everything is accessible and easy to find. More importantly, everything is easy to put away immediately after use as well. Here is a video which shows how my container is set up:

For most of us (well, me anyway) "shop organization" is something of an oxymoron. :grin big:

I do have storage locations for all of my tooling and hand and power tools, though I am working on better options for my tooling storage. While I am working on something all bets are off, but there is a reason for that. Many years ago I got in the habit of leaving tools out when I have used them so that each one can be wiped down at the end of the day before being put back in its assigned storage location. I have allowed this habit to carry over to my machine tooling as well. In this way my storage cabinets and tool boxes always stay pretty clean. I absolutely detest it when one of my sons uses a hand tool and puts it away greasy or oily, or uses a drill bit and puts it away full of swarf. :mad:

I solve the tool storage issue by using lots of tool boards. Everything is accessible and easy to find. More importantly, everything is easy to put away immediately after use as well. Here is a video which shows how my container is set up:
Some really good ideas there, I like the flat screen TV bracket for lathe tailstock storage. I will look into that one. You do alot with a small area.. I would hate having to clean that space after doing some milling or lathe work... heavy cuts would have chips everywhere:eek:

Shop? Organize? Not sure I understand. ;) :grin:
Ever get the Hardinge lathe running, or just plain organized?

Bought a Mitutoyo 3" diameter AARP approved "old person eyes" drop indicator several weeks ago, what a treat. Well worth the buck and a half.
One also does not need a "brown toolbox" to be a machinist (-:

Running this old beasty will put hair on your chest, a Warner & Swasey #5 turret lathe drilling 1 17/32" holes X 5" straight through (no pecking) 304 SS, also no pilot hole as the bore finishes at 1.840" so a bit of wobble is unimportant. This machine is the shiat for knocking out rough bores, chuck part, turn on, engage turret feed and walk away until it is done. 10 parts drilled in 2 hours and I wasn't pushing it, very smelly coolant however as it is infrequently used. A 20" 3 jaw chuck with teeth.

Last edited:
Back