Shop organization....!!!!

:tranquility::):)
Shop? Organize? Not sure I understand. ;) :grin:

:boxing::grin big: My thoughts axactly. I was just thinking of how you clean up and as soon as as you start with the next project....BAM,it looks the same as before.It never stops.But for me that means I am busy and that for me is a good thing.Good luck with the organizing.

Some really good ideas there, I like the flat screen TV bracket for lathe tailstock storage. I will look into that one. You do alot with a small area.. I would hate having to clean that space after doing some milling or lathe work... heavy cuts would have chips everywhere:eek:

All my machines and benches are off the ground. I can just sweep chips straight out of the workshop. I also have chip guards and splash backs on the lathe and mill so it contains the mess quite well.

Paul.

For most of us (well, me anyway) "shop organization" is something of an oxymoron. :grin big:
well that's me too, a moron when it comes to organization. The more I organize, the more crap I have everywhere.:( It looks great when I get it all cleaned up, but in one or 2 uses it's a disaster and I can't find anything. I put something down, and can't find it almost immediately.

When I make a real effort to work clean, it's great.. but then I wind up going back to normal. I am in the midst of a 3 week cleanup, because I can't move in the shop. Finally making some headway, made some offcut racks. Still trying to figure out where to put my grinders and bench press.

Sometimes I organize stuff that should be boxed up and stored away(stupid). Sometimes I do good work. Recently I organized my taps and screws. I am amazed how many dupes, trips........ 20 1/4 20 taps I had. All good, albeit spiral point, plug, bottoming, and spiral. I brought back a plastic draw organizer that I hated in the past because I would have to look in each drawer. Now I labeled them w/a ptouch. And the other drawers in the same column are the screws for that size.. finally done searching for the taps in my Kennedy box and can go directly to the drawer. One ray in the light of disarray.

Now if I could keep my benches clear or my lathe pan free. or my floor free.. :frown 2:

Some really good ideas there, I like the flat screen TV bracket for lathe tailstock storage. I will look into that one. You do alot with a small area.. I would hate having to clean that space after doing some milling or lathe work... heavy cuts would have chips everywhere:eek:

I liked the flat panel bracket idea so much that I ordered in 2 of them. The panels are painted and mounted to the brackets . Now they need to be hung over my 96 by 32 inch bench for easy reach to tools when pulling them forward.

Hahaha. This blew up more than I was expecting. I was anticipating someone to have some great ideas or have super nice clean shops, I know there are several retired guys here who probably can spend more time in the shop than I can. But we're all no different. Lol.
It's all a disaster!

I have a couple of those old brown boxes with what appears to me the exact lack of paint in the exact same places......designed obsolescence in in it's early form?

Here is a tip that I use. I like drawer cabinets and toolboxes. They are very efficient and can store tons of stuff in a maximized area.

Notice all the wasted space between your stuff on the shelf and the next shelf above it?

organization.jpg

Also, I have found that if you get toolboxes and drawer cabinets the right height they make excellent work benches. Yes, they can really add up to some money but, for me it is money well spent. And if you are patient, you can find some really good stuff for bargains on Craig's List.

Back