Shop organization

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Not a project per se but a move toward dealing with various containers of fasteners etc.
I picked up 90 plastic bins months back and finally got around to shelving many of them.
Not even close to full.
f0140006ef2fa2ece8bc74eb23d4e553.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude! You are maybe the most seriously organized HM-style materials resources setup man in BC!

Place some angle iron under those shelves.

Unless they are good stuff the constant force of gravity will cause them to sag and get ugly

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I'm actually going to put a vertical support in the middle of each shelf. There's space as the bins don't take the full width of the shelves.

I lucked into some of these louvered bin holders years ago.

or the Canadian distributor

Do yourself a favor and just buy one it'll be much better than stacking them or trying to use the cheap pegboard rail version. You could probably make a rail system but this solution works best for me since I can mix different sized bins and give however much space I need to access stuff inside.

John

Last edited:
I lucked into some of these louvered bin holders years ago.

or the Canadian distributor

Do yourself a favor and just buy one it'll be much better than stacking them or trying to use the cheap pegboard rail version. You could probably make a rail system but this solution works best for me since I can mix different sized bins and give however much space I need to access stuff inside.

John
Interesting. I'm not sure the Uline bins I have will fit on the holder but I'll check to see if Uline has a similar product.

edit: somewhere along the line I collected a few Akro bins and they appear to have identical mounting dimensions as the bins I have so that panel would probably work. :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not sure the Uline bins I have will fit on the holder but I'll check to see if Uline has a similar product.

edit: somewhere along the line I collected a few Akro bins and they appear to have identical mounting dimensions as the bins I have so that panel would probably work. :D

Mine is populated with bins from Harbor Freight which originally came with some horrible system for holding them. I think most of these bins are standardized on the back and will work with the louvered panels.

I've moved mine all over the place, from being wall mounted to mounting on the end of a metal shelf, and back onto the wall in my current shop. They really do help in staying organized and finding stuff, I definitely like them better than the bolt bins I was given since I can just look and see whatever is inside. Also it's easy to pull one down to find what you want if it has a mixture of things.

Definitely one of those "shop secrets" I would have never thought about before I got mine which I think are around 18"x30". I wasn't even looking for them, I think I just happened upon them while browsing at the Arizona State University surplus barn. Trust me, that shelf will end up frustrating you way more than $76 worth....

John

Now you can make labels for the bins in your spare time.;)
It is only right that the labels should be something like spin tool engraved in brass or steel, filled with red or blue DyKem and varnished over. Maybe arc-written in 1/16" on Victoria-chic rusty old sheet metal strips, or go for either art-deco or steampunk look. Arrays of blue plastic containers need that little something! :cool:

[Edit: Aw - OK then, print the little labels, but at least use a font that looks as if it came off an old-style technical drawing]

Last edited:
Back