Shop Press Brinell test

Hmmm, a ball in a press ... hope you plan to use Lexan shields between you and the work.

Have seen some funny videos about ball bearings exploding.....my plan is cut a section of an old fire extinger I have and use it as a shield.

Last edited:
Just be careful, cascao. An off-center object in a press can be expelled forcefully if it slips.

Good idea. If you can somehow make it so the ball cannot possibly be ejected, that would be good. Many years ago, I saw the aftermath of a pump that slipped in the press. This thing had to be over 10# and it was ejected through the shop wall and into the side of a truck parked in back of the shop. That left an impression, on the truck and in my mind.

How are you going to regulate the pressure to make the test repeatable?
Pierre

the idea is to use my shop press manometer and conduct the test at 3 tons and see if impressions are similar sizes expected for a known material.

I Made the "holder" for 10mm (3/8") ball. The holder let only 3mm (1/8") of the ball exposed.
20171118131352.JPG
For sure the holder is a must if you doesn't want to brinell test your press ram.
20171118131316.JPG
Tested some 1020, 1045, A36, SCH80 and AL 6061 I have at scrap bin.
20171118131254.JPG
My readings ended being a bit off expected numbers. Had a tough time taking precise measurements with a paquimeter.
20171118131307.JPG
I Had read that there is a dedicated microscopes for this....maybe a good photo and convert pixel to mm....this will be my next try.

Hardness is generally specified at mid radius when checking on a face as you have pictured. It will always be lower in the center and climb a bit as you approach the OD of a round. Using a Brinnell method you must get an accurate pressure, substantial support under the test specimen, and if checking the OD of a round, if it is hot rolled, grind away the decarb layer and use a good sturdy vee block of adequate size.

And yes, there are special microscopes for that purpose.

Back