Shop Press upgrades

I just picked up a HF 20 ton today also. Thinking of adding the cable lift for raising and lowering, one of the first things. Cheep and with bad back and shoulder may be a definite improvement. Other than that still looking at mods that are in this thread.

I've read of the cable lift too, but not seen any good clear photos of how it's done. Still looking.

I saw one that used the item similar to a boat wench but used 2 cables, it was mounted on one side, and had pulleys on the top of each side at the top that the cable road in to make the change in direction.
One side had 2 one for that side and the one to run across the top to the other side, Then The other side had one for the cable to run down. The pulleys were mounted just above the top on the outer corners of the uprights. That way the cable was out of the way above the top and on the outside of each side rail. This was connected to the handles of each side with cable loops. This way you could raise it up lock it, while you put in the pins, Then unlock and lower it down on the pins. If you had good enough pulleys on good shafts you can even raise and lower with your parts on it. This way you could put them on at the height that was comfortable then adjust to what is needed. A plus for people with bad back and shoulders etc.

Not sure if Ken is talking about mine or not but thats pretty much how mine is in a nutshell.
IMG_6263a.jpg IMG_6256a.jpg IMG_6253a.jpg
Viewed from the front the winch handle is top left. You can just see the winch drum poking out a bit. Viewed from the back you can see the winch with the 2 cables running off it. One runs down the left upright. The other runs across the top and down the right upright. Attachment is just a cable eye splice onto a u-bolt at each end of the table. I just made little guide rollers out of steel tube on a greased axle to direct the cable where I needed it to go.

Cheers Phil

I have one of the HF 20 ton presses. It's ok but I wish I had one that was a bit better built. I did some mods which improved it significantly. First thing was to build a new base,

CE29D72A-0BD1-4287-812B-5B39942A48D6.jpg

Then I made an accessory shelf.

73D0DD0F-8957-4D3F-8F03-DE2A6AE9A120.jpg

Then air over hydraulic

AC712D22-0260-4004-BF9B-0802E9AB94DA.jpg

Holder for the air valve.

69FC0623-8A13-4A01-910E-37D0DFA2C687.jpg

6C3DEFD8-DDBA-44A7-9AED-BA87BE39265C.jpg

V blocks

3E523C6D-DE40-49B4-A1B8-4B96B6D7E9D5.jpg

I ended up making another accessory shelf and more tooling but don't have any more pics on my computer at the moment.

Phil/BSS1 - Great ideas and execution, thanks for sharing.

that almost looks like you made a finger brake for it as well. Ken

Ken,

It is a finger brake. It is a weld together kit from Swag Off Road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One thing I did different when assembling my HF 2oT was to replace those four long bolts (at the top) with eight grade 5 hardware.
IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you attached a second cable to a winch drum designed for one cable? I picked up a winch last night and see how the cable is anchored through the side of the drum opposite the gear. So how should the second cable be anchored for the side close to the gear?

Back