Shop Press upgrades

As this is not as heavy as a boat, Use a smaller diam cable then both will fit through the hole. Or enlarge the hole. The other way I had thought of is to use one long piece of cable and pt the loop through the hole after ensuring that both ends were long enough to make it where they needed to go. It might not work that way but That was my thoughts. Had seen something similar one time.

I just removed the cable from the drum. It was secured to 1 of the flanges, (arrowed) and drilled a hole through the spool to take a bolt. I bent the sides of a washer so as to capture the cable. I found the centre of the cable (not really, because 1 half is longer than the other to reach the other side of the press) bent it back on itself and then just wound the cable back on the drum.
IMG_0270a.jpg IMG_0269a.jpg IMG_0271a.jpg
Now you have 2 ends exiting in the same direction. You want to make sure as practicable as possible that each cable winds on the same amount and that both step up to the next layer at the same time so it continues to wind on/off at the same dia/rev to keep the table from getting cocked over.

Cheers Phil

Thanks Phil, great photos and explanation - that is exactly what I needed. The winch I just bought has the same cable attachment on the side. I should be able to do the same thing you did. I just need to decide it I want the winch on top or the side.

I got my new HF 20 ton press assembled last night. No problems at all. Even the instructions were well written and illustrated. It seems that HF is making an effort to improve their products (at least some of them) and provide good instructions. I put locking casters on it for mobility too. So far so good.

Phil thanks, I just have the idea I have not started on mine, just set it up and started using it, to take the head for my lathe apart. Now I have to get the new bearings and seals for the Lathe and put it back together after I get finished cleaning and painting it.

Does anyone know of a good spray paint match for gray Harbor Freight 20 ton press? I'm working on the winch modification and would like to paint a few things. Thanks. Steve

Just picked up one of these HF presses...only problem is they gave me the older model one, not the 60603. I didn't even think about it until I got home. Now I gotta bring it back but I'm waiting because none of the local stores have any of the 60603 in stock. I already have some 1/4" UHMW to use for shims for the jack plate and grade-8 hardware that I bought knowing I would get this press soon. Can't wait to get it working. I'm tired of using the old hammer and vise method for making bends. :disgust:

I did quite a few mods to my harbor freight 20 ton shop press. I have a playlist on YouTube with 3 videos that I made showing some of the stuff I've done. Check em out for ideas.
Harbor freight 20 to shop press mods

Last edited:
I did quite a few mods to my harbor freight 20 ton shop press. I have a playlist on YouTube with 3 videos that I made showing some of the stuff I've done. Check em out for ideas.
Harbor freight 20 to shop press mods

Thank you !
What user name are they under ? I see quite a few press modification videos but most are the same thing; install the air/hydraulic jack and some other things..

edit: ok, never mind, I see the links now in the reply I did. For some reason they didn't show in your posting.. !

I added a winch and a few more upgrades to mine. With the air/hydraulic jack i can even split a couple pieces of firewwood.

press1.jpg

Brake.jpg

Air jack.jpg

Back