Shop re-do

I have same problem, too much for so little space. My garage is detached 25x30 block. At my pervious home my garage was 45x60 couldn't fill it up.
I've learned over the years the more space you have the more you hoard. Every spring I do a clean up and off to the landfill will all the things I've had for 20 years and never needed. 2 weeks later I'm looking for some of the things I thru out. So off to the store and buy again.

I have same problem, too much for so little space. My garage is detached 25x30 block. At my pervious home my garage was 45x60 couldn't fill it up.
I've learned over the years the more space you have the more you hoard. Every spring I do a clean up and off to the landfill will all the things I've had for 20 years and never needed. 2 weeks later I'm looking for some of the things I thru out. So off to the store and buy again.

I’m definitely trying to deal the previous owner’s pack rat tendencies and avoid creating situation where I can accumulate excess stuff.
Part of my clutter is a collection of parts for two motorcycles, one that needs to be reassembled and sold and the other which will be a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once its finished then watch out for entropy.

I’ve posted a guard. 24/7. Gonna cost me but entropy shall not enter! :D

If this were my shop, I would:
(1) put everything possible on casters,
(2) start with a blank slate & lay out a floor plan,
(3) put a ridiculous amount of pegboard on the available wall space, and
(4) employ sheds or a storage unit for the stuff that doesn’t fit.

I had a serious conversation with my family about ALL the storage space potentially available to me in the house and yard (“Closet space available here?”, “Can I put a shed there?”). I was given part of a side yard & I went crazy with sheds. The sheds are packed with boxes in an organized fashion.

My wife has always been firm about “none of my junk in the house”.

I have all my toolboxes, welders and one cabinet on wheels. The mill may go on wheels but need to build a new base first as this one is too narrow to consider wheeling it around. I don’t plan to put the lathe on wheels.

I inherited the workbench which is eight feet long and 22” deep. It has 16 drawers which is great for storage but it’s too big for the space. I have a stash of full extension, 100 lb capacity drawer slides that I will use to make a new, smaller bench with drawers.

I have laid out the entire space on paper with CAD templates for all the machines and major items including the motorcycles.

Adding the partition walls has literally added 25% more wall space. It means I can move all the motorcycle related stuff, oil, parts, etc to the motorcycle space which has gained two walls by way of the partition walls.

I do take your point on maximizing all available storage. My partner is fully supportive of me making the space exactly how I want it. We recently reorganized our garden shed so that we could move all of the garden stuff out of the garage. There are no recreational things such as bicycles in the garage.

@DavidR8 "Working around all of the stuff was driving me crazy so I rented a container which arrived on Monday. Happy days! A few pics will give you an idea of the chaos I’m trying to tame."

The "motto" of many of my shops over the years:
View attachment 329540

My shop was put together with this as the blueprint, and I “nailed it”! Looks great David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha,
My wife asked me this morning, where are you going to put the band saw?
She says I'm running out of room in the shop.
I says, na, lots of guys have to open the doors and move things out to use a machine tool.
Thanks David!!

Back