Shop re-do

Ha,
My wife asked me this morning, where are you going to put the band saw?
She says I'm running out of room in the shop.
I says, na, lots of guys have to open the doors and move things out to use a machine tool.
Thanks David!!
Happy to be of service!

More progress tonight.
Pushed through 30 degrees in the shop to paint another wall.
Drank two litres of water to compensate for my water loss.
Looks good though.
Also shortened my bench by almost two feet down to six ft long.
No pics of that though.
c70f6b03e5d51f09a5805b7f60b2b508.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More progress tonight.
Last night I cut near 2 ft off the right end of my bench.
Hung my parts bin rack and a wall cabinet. Not sure about the cabinet to be honest. But at least now I can see the floor.
The tablesaw and upright bandsaw will go against the wall to the right of the grey bench. Trying to get some separation between wood and metal tools.
5cf5a4bda7ebbd8574df68d24aa8968c.jpg

Last edited:
Hung more cabinets tonight and moved the saw and jointer.
e8f8c496e7749eee5bc62e9aaf6abc51.jpg

8c2712ba730ffce6d04d647ac29b70fd.jpg

Moved the engine hoist to its new home.
c9c2c364eb7421245a42c0253bf67e45.jpg

The blue motorcycle is going into the soon-to-be completely enclosed space behind the black toolbox.
03387a750c7b3f83c3f06f3728339513.jpg

Huge step tonight.
Finally have both motorcycles side by side in what will be their dedicated space.
Major improvement in both spaces.
634feeb1bbc51b18c8ec29b50656392a.jpg

Last edited:
My shop is a 10x14 wood shed with limited space and I installed shelving on all of the walls and have, since this pic, replaced the short supports with longer ones in order to add another layer of shelving. That and using small plastic boxes sure does work out great for me and seem to make it look less cluttered. As you can see I also took the time to paint all shelving white which helps with making that small space seem a little bigger and easier on my old eyes. FYI - I have never been a fan of peg boards and have plenty of storage in my three tools boxes under my 10' long bench and two Kennedy 7 drawer boxes. Also everything except lathes and mill are on wheels which now includes the arbor press on the floor.
20200329_103456.jpg

Last edited:
I second the thoughts about TV.
We don’t have cable and only stream the things we want, typically British drama.

We haven't had TV in over 30 years. I came home from work one day, stepped OVER all four of my sons who were lying on the floor watching TV, changed clothes, and talked to my wife for a few minutes. She called the boys for dinner, and they asked, "We're not waiting for Dad to get home?"

That night, the TV was out of the house. Have never missed it. Now that the kids are moved out with families of their own, we have a very large flat screen. About once every couple of weeks, we'll rent a movie from Netflix. We don't have cable or streaming or any of that other stuff, whatever it is. For that I am eternally grateful.

When the grand kids come over, they often wonder what we do without TV. I tell them, go outside, close your eyes, spin in a circle, open your eyes, and no matter what direction you're facing, there's something to do. That's life on a farm.

Well, there's my rant on mind-numbing/time-wasting instruments of indoctrination.

Regards,

Great work, David, on introducing some order into the madness. Looks like it's coming along nicely. Unfortunately, I think all of us who enjoy working with our hands fall victim to a frustrating axiomatic reality: The amount of stuff accumulated is directly proportional to the area of space available. Don't think I've ever seen an exception to that rule.

Regards,
Terry

Finally have both motorcycles side by side in what will be their dedication space.
looking good David. Looks like lots of storage opportunity above the bikes.

Same boat as tjb concerning not having a TV on other than not even a monthly movie. I got rid of my last TV about 30 years ago as I was curious as to what life would be like without one and cannot imagine having to give up what I fill my time with now to watch a TV, other than watching a PC machining video now and then. Also I just kind of got bored with what was on TV at that time.

Back