Shop re-do

Your are on your way. Wall space is at a premium in a small shop. Especially in a corner. I would think about covering over the window on the left side of the shop. Not take it out. Just cover it. From the pictures I see that the passage door opens to the inside. It might open things up a little bit if the door opened to the outside. Don't know if that is feasible for a variety of reasons. Mostly weather related.

If you haven't done so make your shop drawing a group. Then you need to draw each of your machines as a separate group. Nothing fancy. Just a box of the overall size of the machine. With each machine as a group you can move them wherever you want to to try different layouts. I would draw all of your machines outside of the shop. Then you can copy, not cut, and paste the machine where you think that you might want it. Use guide points on the floor where one corner of the machine will go. When you paste you will be able to put the move icon on that corner and move the machine to the guide point. it won't take you long to get proficient with Setchup.

Thanks!
I definitely hear you on wall space. I’ve been thinking about how to make the most of what I have.
Covering the window is certainly an idea.
The wall behind the mill and lathe is a bit of challenge because the fronts of the machines are good three feet from the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice, planning the setup is critical to making your life easier and knowing where to run all the electrical.
I will do a footprint drawing of the shop and then make cutouts of the equipment, benches and tool boxes. Then I will manipilate them to get the best rough layout. From there I go to CAD and do it again, only I look at room for servicing the equipment, space for operator, special tool carts, part carts, path ways to move carts, tool cabinets, raw material around. Also, don't forget raw material storage as well.

I have a handy-dandy paper plan with cardboard cutouts for the big machines.
It’s been a big help in trying to figure out how things might actually fit together.

I have a handy-dandy paper plan with cardboard cutouts
Now that you are getting good at Sketchup, there is no going back :) In my opinion, doing 3d room and floor layouts is the sweet spot for Sketch up and a great way to dip you "toe" into CAD.

Now that you are getting good at Sketchup, there is no going back :) In my opinion, doing 3d room and floor layouts is the sweet spot for Sketch up and a great way to dip you "toe" into CAD.

It’s a fun learning experience. I tried it previously and for whatever reason it didn’t ‘click’ with me.
Now I seem to have figured at least the basics.

David,
Looks like great progress!
Evan

David,
Looks like great progress!
Evan

Thanks Evan, every day it feels more and more like my space.

Put a metal top on my bench.
Before:
3aa9ec89d183871ed81aeac5948a8249.jpg

After:
247c0825fb0ff93e54495805d5623773.jpg

David, how's that double-stick tape working out for mounting the bench top?

David, how's that double-stick tape working out for mounting the bench top?

Almost too well!

I wiped both the Formica and the underside of the top with acetone to make sure the surfaces were clean before putting down the tape.

Edit: I used Gorilla” brand double sided tape.
I accidentally dropped the top and it stuck hard. It’s not going anywhere now.

I plan to build a new cabinet but this one will do for now.

Last edited:
I had a solid oak cabinet that came out of Shells lab in the SFO Bay Area. The drawers ran so smooth with heavy tool loads you would think it had modern ball bearings. It was from the 30's. Had to give them up when we left CA.
Your cabinets remind me of them except the double the number of drawers but the same size cabinets.
Nice work.

Back