Shop Safety

Broom maybe, but never an oil can. Nothing worse than missing the oil spout and spraying oil all over the place just like the mens room in a bar, or even worse, missing the oil hole completely. Couple of months later you wonder why the machine seized up when you knew you had oiled it, or at least you were sure you remembered having oiled it.

Walter

Fill the tank with CO by piping in the exhaust from an ICE, be it a car engine or a lawnmower. Welded/brazed plenty of fuel tanks with this technique. As long as there is some sort of flow through to push out the air in the tank, there won't be enough oxygen inside to support combustion.

I learned it from a Great Uncle (who passed away last week) that was a radiator repairman for 50 years or so. It seems that radiator shops here did quite a few fuel tank repairs, so I don't know who taught him. First time I saw him do it I thought he was nuts (well, he was , in a good way ;) ). But even after vatting a tank, as you mentioned, there is still a danger from film left inside. But this works, because there can't be a fire or explosion without an oxidizer. He kept an old tiller parked in the corner of his shop with some of that flex-pipe attached to the exhaust pipe. Leaning against the wall, shoving that flex into the tank filler, or sending/gage unit hole, it took only a couple of minutes to make it safe. He would light his OA torch and play it in the gas stream as it exited the tank and judged the color change to determine if there were any flammable fumes being pushed out. When it was safe, he'd weld or solder away!

Some of the commercial shops recommend an inert gas under low pressure, like Nitrogen. It's cheap, available, and safe.

I dunno about vinegar. :eek:

Hi all
2 points
( 1 ) my brother lost an eye not wearing glases using a angle grinder to cut brick..

( 2 ) Co2 from a fire extinguiser is a good way to stop tanks exploding.

I have used the method of filling the tank with water and found that extra heat under the tank to raise the temperature
is a help

In wine making a sulpher stick is burnt to fill the cask with inert gass ???? a posible thought????

Back