Shop storage

The columns are rolled 12 GA steel C back to back take I beams, the floor joists are 6 inch tall 12 GA Z.

First photo shows the front column with the tie bar to the back column.

You can see the left rear column on the left and the back beams.

Second photo is from the end of the shop looking towards opposite end.

The tool crib is in the first bay so the floor supporting racking would take too much space.

Second bay with man door same thing.

Third bay had cabinets on the floor and with the stairs it would reduce the fit.

The bays are 12 feet on centers.

Last photo shows the top of 2 columns, they are bolted to the Z with 2 each 5/8 bolts using the built in holes.

There is another column on the opposite side of the post.

Splicing the beams was a challenge as there are different sizes so you need matching ones.

Yo cut the end of one off with band saw. Make square with BP Mill then cut opposite end from another beam, rather measure from opposite end and cut a bit long, square up then trim to fit.

Clamp the thing 5 ways to insure it stays straight and tack weld it.

Test fit then weld.

The 3 back beams are all same length.

End front beams same length with center one longer.

Since the forklift cannot get to these the weight is limited to my ability, the beams were rated at 5k lbs per pair before welding, likely well more than I will ever get up there.

We did similar when we needed 6 10 ft beams for another bay and only had 2.

Made frame with 2 of extra chunks same as these and placed the 10 ft beams top and bottom allowing 4 more to be built using the frame as guide.

8ef4c179fc981de9f569e2ce02e4ec05.jpg
af944a52ac835a5f73dbb516d59319d0.jpg
81a78e995f282320071a6921111531c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Bin cart finally with bins.

Years ago we scored a rolling bin cart from estate sale for a song...and we cannot sing...

Grainger sells same unit, $500.00 at the time, $996.00 now.

It did not have any bins, just a well made cart rated for 1200 pounds.

The bins were about 4 bucks each, so 112 of them was out of budget.

Had some assorted and picked up some at yard sales but wanted to get right ones.

Found a medical supply at a buck each, made orderand got ship date, then got a call stating old price and no stock.

Amazon was 45 bucks for 12 before, they remembered we carted them one time, sent, sent email advising price increase to 60, no thanks.

Was checking ebay, 6 to 8 bucks each, pass.

Even found some warehouse place with great price but when purchase went through PayPal to a person's name I could not pronounce red flag.

After 2 months PayPal refund.

So a every once in awhile ebay search finally paid off.

Did you know MSC has an Ebay store?

We looked on a Saturday, nothing Sunday while taking break looking and wife suggests ebay, told here no good but looked anyway and the usual suspects 12 for 60 bucks or as much as 9 bucks each.

But we scroll down a bit and find cases of 24 for 38 bucks!

Only 8 boxes available, we only need 5 so placed the order.

The cart comes with durham made in mexico, 4 bucks each.

Akro mills are same but much more $$$

These are Quantum made in USA, look identical to both the Akro mills and durham.

Must have been a clearance item it MSC.

Their ebay store has lots of items, not sure of price relative to actual but somewhere else to look.

We entered items in our database to make the labels, very efficient storage as many empty bins, may move hardware into this thing.

Have a bunch of assorted sized bins leftover now, need to find some place to use them now...
a23d17b820906b1b8103695a61955b46.jpg
87669f146b7ed8f1516cf7c18f6af81c.jpg
4c07cffa7a4c2bdfba6b5c4b16057568.jpg

Whew, stuff could get lost for decades up there.
Lost...

Forgot you had it...

We have spreadsheet that lives in a computer in the shop, also building database to make it easier.

Sheet has colums for categories to allow for sorting by that as well as description of items then location.

Category allows for filtering hardware or tools or you can just hit ctrl f for general search.

Our cardboard bin boxes were somewhere in the shop...

Placed them 2 years ago, and they were 8 feet up, on the back of a 44 inch deep pallet rack.

So said the computer...

Well hidden behind the taller items placed in front.

Back