Shop vac and wrenches

Brento

Registered
Registered
What is a good little shop vac i can buy to pick up chips and of the such from cutting. I dont want anything huge. Next question is what type of wrench do i need for the nut closers for a 5C block fixtures? It appears to be 4 holes space 90 apart of each other.

Get a shop vac with at lest a 2" ID hose, so chips do not block it like mine does. the wrench would some sort of a pin spanner.

I found a 6 piece spanner wrench kit from amazon im going to try. Will be here friday. I also bought a wrench for my ER20 collet nuts. But thank you for the shop vac suggestion. I am just limited in space so i need a smallish unit that does take much space and has some power or will last sucking up oily chips

I have a wall mounted unit Vacumaid, but it is not a 2", and is dry only. There are other wall mounted units as well. I send a nut through the hose once in awhile to keep it clear. Oily ok, just not a lot of liquid.

I like my 4 gal, Rigid shop vac. I bought a generic cyclone buddy and attached it to a 5 gallon bucket. It works great and catches all the big stuff.

Cyclone Dust Collector DIY Turbocharged Third Generation Industrial Extractor Canister Woodworking Vacuum Home Cleaning Catcher Turbo with Flange Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XML9JX4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V4YJ76YM8WEW7A3HTRRC?psc=1

Make a spanner wrench Brent . Easy to do .

Check out MSC or McMaster-Carr for quality pin spanners.
Make one using a grade 8 bolt threaded & Loctite into a piece of steel to fit the collet lock ring. Cut the head off leaving a smooth pin.

Maybe too small, but I have a "cordless" vacuum from a DeWalt power tool kit years back that has good suction. And a 1-1/2 gallon with a 1-1/2 inch hose. But the suction isn't as strong as the DeWalt. Finding a vacuum cleaner isn't too hard, they're almost a "dime a dozen". Finding a good vacuum may take some looking. My small line powered one came from my brother. I don't know where he found it.

My experience with small shop vacs is they don't suck worth a darn. The 14g to 16g vacs will usually have a "rated" hp around 5.5 to 6.5 and do a much better job than the small ones. The little ones don't do a good job picking up oily swarf. I concur with the 2" hose reccomendation. I also always use the yellow vacuum bags to keep the filters from getting clogged and loosing suction.

Last edited:
Back