SHOP VERMIN

uncle harry

Active User
Registered
My RENT-A-GRUNT (a very dear friend who I pay for his help) & I assisted and/or watched as a crew of mudjackers attacked my #2 shop slab. They drilled a grid of about 20 inch and a half holes through the 4 inch 16 X 26 slab and proceeded to fill voids beneath. We helped them reposition about a dozen machines and cabinets in a couple of "musical chairs" events so that they could introduce a family of woodchucks to about three cubic yards of mortar. All of this took about 4 hours at a bargain cash cost of a mere $1400 that I might have enjoyed having more shop toys with. The subterranean "guests" inflicted this damage in a matter of about 1 week last summer. Now perhaps I can keep my Harrison M300 level lathe level again.

x

These creatures have injured me enough to add the insult of dining on them. Expensive diet those would be !

Harry, I think the big question is, are we now going to have three more weeks of winter? Cheers, Mike

I nearly lost a finger to a groundhog some years ago. I have no love for them. About twenty years ago, my new wife, freshly imported from the UK, thought that the young groundhogs sliding down a sand pile were cute. few weeks later, when her entire row of green beans disappeared, her command was"kill them". I keep a .22 loaded all summer in the event a groundhog should present itself. They are cagey critters though; the slightest movement and they're gone to ground.

I had a problem with them undermining a barn foundation. I find that plugging the holes with good sized rock works. When they're underground, they run out of room to move their excavation material. I expect that I have a few skeletons under my barn floor.

Last edited:
ground hog. Probably makes a nice burger.

I wonder how they catch those darn things each year if they are as quick and cagey as RJ says they are :)

My neighbor asked if he could shoot the ones around my house. He said they are tasty, grass fed and taste like beef. I haven’t tried.

I wonder how they catch those darn things each year if they are as quick and cagey as RJ says they are :)
I ambush them. The gardens are both easily visible from the house so I can shoot from the house. For the ones further away, if I spot themand they haven't seen me, I can get the rifle and sneak up to the point where I have a good shot. Large live traps also work well. Just make sure they're not alive when you open the trap.

Back