shop vise advise

It is really hard to go wrong with Wilton.
When I was a mechanic, Most shops I worked in had Wiltons. They can take an unbelievable amount of abuse.
Mechanics love their 4lb (1.8Kg) beaters, and don't hesitate to clamp something in the vise and go at it with full intent.
I have broken Record vises - they are an excellent vise, but are not as stout as a Wilton.
IMO, the Record is best used as a clamping fixture for holding things, the Wilton is best used for hard work.
I have found the Wilton deals easily with minor abuse like forming or bending material over the jaws, or taping the handle with the hammer to snug up the jaws. The Wilton also tends to have better rotation clamps than other vises and will not skip during heavy filing or moderate hammering.

I use Wilton vises now because I can afford them and enjoy old iron.
I have to say though, years ago I purchased one of thos real big Chinese rotating vises.
Beat the hell out of it for years (20) and its still going strong, albeit it with a little bondo
missing here and there. Best 80 bucks I ever spent on a vise.

Love my little 4" Wilton bullet vise️. Got it at an auction. Apparently nobody wanted the ugly painted 2x6 constructed wooden bench laminated with a 1/4" steel plate for a top. $50 LOL. I just demolished the bench tossed the wood in the dumpster and kept the top plate and vise. I really need to mount it to a more sturdy bench with all four screws to get full utility. IMO the Wilton bullet vise is what every machine shop should have at least one of. They are goofy expensive new and the quality may or may not be the same as the older ones. Like others mentioned, I would keep a watch out for one locally on CL/ebay or like I did at industrial auction. Patience.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1498398533.071202.jpg

Last edited:
I have two Wilton Vises I bought one new it is the biggest one a 450. I have had this one about 20 years
The other one I bought used but it had never been used or even bolted to a workbench I guess you could say it was new also it has the pipe jaws . I think it would be a 350 both are Machinist Vises

IMG_6381.JPG

IMG_6382.JPG

Yost still makes vises in the US.
Bought a new one off of Amazon about six years ago. Castings were from Taiwan. Machined in USA. Fairly nice and decent or the money. It's one of the one's painted yellow, if that tells you anything. Still haven't setup and used the vise. Still laying under the surface plate stand. Need to drag it out and mount it to the workbench my son & I built last year.

I've been pleased with my 6" Phase II vise.

Back