shop vise advise

Yard sales, estate sales and flea markets are excellent places to find quality vises. Over the past few years I have picked up over a dozen Wilton, Charles Parker and other old quality vises for cheap.
Randy

Yard sales, estate sales and flea markets are excellent places to find quality vises. Over the past few years I have picked up over a dozen Wilton, Charles Parker and other old quality vises for cheap.
Randy

I was going to mention flea markets. A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 4" Colombian vise for $5!IMG_2904.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman still sells a made in Japan vise that gets great ratings. About $120 or so. I went with a 4" and a 6' regular craftsman. Ace hardware gave me a deal on them 4"-$24.00, 6" $34.00 If they break I'm not out a lot of money. They actually look pretty decent.
Roy

Last edited:
Do you have a link for that vise Royesses?

The old Sears vises were made by Columbian and they're tough. I abused my Dad's for years. Unfortunately it looks like the leadscrew nuts (which strip) are not available new from Sears anymore so beware if you buy a Sears vise thinking you can get it fixed easily- you may have to make the part
Mark S.

Thats so cool.... There was a factory in Pa called Scranton Lace that employed 5000 people.
When it closed up I bought 150 parker vises to resale. I kept 3 for myself. I was told that some
of the Parker family work there and thats one reason they had so many Parker vises,.

Vises are one of my vices.
I have a few- none of them great but adequate for most of what I do. Always keeping my eye out for another one. If you live in an area that had foundries or oil field work they seem to be more plentiful. Most of them around here are farmer grade junk or worn and beaten to death.
Still waiting for the deal of a lifetime. But, like Ken in Ontario, I probably wouldn't feel right about paying so little and would have to let them know the true value. Then I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Back