Shop wiring almost done

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
OOOOK, I have been on a mission to upgrade my Garage electrical wiring. I started out with ONE 110v outlet for the whole garage, extension cords were out for everything, not safe, not good, no way, no how. I have been going in stages as necessary. My original electrician with 20+ years experience started hitting the pipe. I had a feeling something was up but he did a good job, and did what was needing to be done. Well he took some cash in advance to put in another installment, and either he's dead, relocated, and dumped his phone, or he's in jail. So now I'm out money, and no 220v he pulled the wires out to relocate them, and disappeared. Both my Miller plasma, and MIG are able to run on 110v Thank goodness. Now up to date a very good friend, union electrician that I did not want to bother, because he was so busy, retired, but will do side jobs, thank you Lord. For the last 2 days he came over, and finished up all that could be done to this point. He also changed up a few things for more expansion in the future. I have underground utilities, and they won't pull 200 amp wires through a 2" conduit, so the next stage will be to do some digging rolleyes.gif Then I will be able to split the house, and shop. I have enough power for what I need, but can't run multiple big loads at the same time, and I have 6 slots in the box for extras, plus what I have in the house breaker box. The Miller 250 syncrowave has a 100 amp dedicated service panel, fused, with a 100 amp plug in, not hard wired, that thing is huge, but no cord to walk over. From one 2 plug outlet, I now have 4, 4 gang plug ins 1 drop 4 gang plug, 2 x 220v 30 amp , and one spare in the ceiling ready to run. 2 x 220 50 amp welder plugs, and the 100 amp TIG sub system. The lathe is back to back with the welding table. Then there are the 7, at this time light fixtures. Oh, and the original 2 plug outlet.....WOW this was long winded..

0123181855_zpspueietst.jpg

0123181858_zpso21argzs.jpg

0123181908_zpshx4qymkk.jpg

0123182038_zpsfctrgjsi.jpg

Waaay gooder now, Aukai! 200 amp service is costly but worth every cent. I'm sure the Fire Dept is pretty close but houses burn fast!

Always good to have plenty of juice. I have a similar TIG setup ( Linde 250-HF). I currently run it off a 50 amp circuit, which seems to work fine. Have a dedicated 100 amp outlet in the new shop, which I'm sure will come in handy if I need to weld up any thicker aluminum. I can commiserate with the drug addicted help. Shop is looking good. How about a little tour when you get time. Cheers, Mike

Here are a few pictures of my confined space work area. You will see my my privacy curtain hanger in a couple of shots, towels, sheets, t-shirts work well:) First is one of the reasons I'm interested in making things. I hope to improve on this in the future. A quick walk around, for what it's worth.....:boxed in:

0124181842_zpsywsuugme.jpg

0124181843_zpsn2vtc9y6.jpg

0124181844_zpseq7jdnip.jpg

0124181845_zpsgzfks5jk.jpg

0124181849_zpskhjwrfix.jpg

0124181850_zpsggp906an.jpg

Nice Aukai, having the electricity where you need it makes all the difference. Tripping over extension cords sucks.
That’s some serious welding power you have there! You have a lot of nice machines there.
Oh, tell us about the hot rod too!

Nice project for sure!

It's taking long enough...:grin:

I've yet to have one go quickly, at least until they're completed. That's quite the "Island Express" you have going there. Cheers, Mike

Hey brah,
Nice shop and equipment. I run the same Tig runner, those transformer machines are power hogs, but man they run stable and last for ever.
Really like your 70 Chevelle, you have great skills man, thats a lot of quarter panel to replace. Nice power plant too.

Sorry about your fist electrician , but your retired buddy will come through I'm sure. Things always work out.
Aloha,
Paco

Back