Shopsmith help needed

I’m not sure how fast die filers operate, but i fear even the slowest speed may be too fast.
i was wrong before!
It would be interesting to create a die filer though!

I’m not sure how fast die filers operate, but i fear even the slowest speed may be too fast.
i was wrong before!
It would be interesting to create a die filer though!
Yup, more research needed as I have no idea how fast a die filer runs either. Good thing is it would be powered from a reg motor instead of the headstock which like you say would be much to fast.

Just curious as I am cheap but has anybody tried re purposing the Shopsmith jig saw into a die filer? It sure seems like a nice unit and I'd sure hate to find out I sold it and could have used it. So far I don't think I've needed a die filer as I use my electric HF die grinder in my stationary mount for small detail work. But I don't do gun work and I guess that's where a die filer is crucial.

As it is I think I'm going to end up with an extra saw table and an extension table. The extension table is off an ancient 10E that has a cast iron mount that the later models don't use and my mark V has no way to mount. I was hoping it had the appropriate extension table as I wanted to use it to mount my HF Baldor type carbide grinder to the end of the base permanently. Lots of weird spare parts that I'm finding out are a mix of different models that I can only figure out by looking through ebay and finding my specific part and what it fits on. Much forensic research as usual with any tool/machine I'm not familiar with.

I've seen quite a few people talking about converting a jig saw into a die filer, but it seems like the kind of thing people talk about more than do. I can see why people get the idea, as they have a similar motion, but they seem to be built rather differently, and even a small jigsaw would have a rather large foot print compared to most die filers.

I've seen quite a few people talking about converting a jig saw into a die filer, but it seems like the kind of thing people talk about more than do. I can see why people get the idea, as they have a similar motion, but they seem to be built rather differently, and even a small jigsaw would have a rather large foot print compared to most die filers.
I only got the idea from a guy in another site that used one of the small Delta jigsaws and I thought it came out nice. I’m not sure but my impression was about the same footprint ( minus the rest of the Shopsmith bed). I really like the chicken foot and integrated dust blower on the Shopsmith jig saw. Being a tool magpie I like the shiny parts and don’t want to part with them. I guess I’m trying to justify keeping the jigsaw when RIL I have limited use for a jigsaw for metal and no use for a wood jigsaw. Truly the hoarders dilemma.

Since December has been one detour or roadblock after another. Oh and an almost catastrophic infrastructure failure.

The main problem was the missing proprietary hardware which really was a timesink. I hate when companies do this silly proprietary stuff. Since the original owner couldn’t seem to find the box of hardware I had fabricate it. I rummaged through my extensive scrap pile and found some 1/4” plate and fabbed the slides. Needed a 10” long 3/8” carriage bolt for the lock and could only source a 8” so had to punt and put 3/8” coupling nut in the middle which of course had to be modded. Had to grind down one side of the coupler so it would clear the table and put a couple of setscrews in it. Works great and is the first step into moving this project along which has a long way to go.

Attachments

• 38CE879B-F506-4918-8BD7-362B84514228.jpeg
    38CE879B-F506-4918-8BD7-362B84514228.jpeg
    505.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 9B96BDFD-AAED-4BBA-923C-0AE409AB38E5.jpeg
    9B96BDFD-AAED-4BBA-923C-0AE409AB38E5.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 18
  • C6CDBD6F-2649-4AD6-8956-FB8416A89EF5.jpeg
    C6CDBD6F-2649-4AD6-8956-FB8416A89EF5.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 18
Nice job, any progress? I love my Shopsmith and have acquired most of the accessories for it over the years. Properly adjusted, the Shopsmith is a very capable machine.

Nice job, any progress? I love my Shopsmith and have acquired most of the accessories for it over the years. Properly adjusted, the Shopsmith is a very capable machine.
Funny, I was debating whether to update my adventure or not. Not all my ideas work like I hope and this was one such detour.

I am not a wood worker and didn‘t buy the Shopsmith for that. My idea was to utilize the adjustable saw tables to be able to make it into a tool grinder setup using my Chinese deckel grinder clone and my carbide grinder clone along with the height adjustment to be able to use my universal vise and air bearing flute attachment.

I finally got time to get all the Shopsmith accessories ready to sell and posted them on CL. The joiner sold right away for $50 to a guy who has made his hobby buying and fixing up Shopsmith. I was able to finally put my Checkel onto one of the saw tables(I have two) and to probably anybody who familiar with the Shopsmith it was not what I’d hoped for. The Checkel is 110# and to see the way tubes flex like branches in the wind downright scared me. So I called the guy who had bought the joiner and asked him if he wanted the rest for $300. With what I got for the joiner that’s what I paid for it. He was thrilled and hustled right over and forked out the $$ and waved that failed “dawning” bye bye.

I did keep the original spare saw table the little table extension and a cool disk grinder rest that the Shopsmith guy had never seen. All cast iron and tilts. Perfect for my MultiTool disk sander. So chalk it up to experience and I had some time invested in it but it laid to rest my idea that I thought would save time and space. But I’m back to what I was going to do originally and mounting that adjustable saw table to the side of the tool box the Checkel and carbide grinder are on and hopefully turn that into my tool grinding station.

Here‘s the mounted rest on the MultiTool. Still needs some details like a sheet metal shield under the rest to shield the wood top.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpeg
    IMG_0546.jpeg
    494 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0547.jpeg
    IMG_0547.jpeg
    446.1 KB · Views: 6
Back