Shopsmith help needed

Not being a woodworker I didn’t buy it for that. But I’ve never been impressed with the actual function of anything that has to be reconfigured. When I used such it seemed like that’s all I did. It became an annoyance and hindrance.

Table extension kit
Thanks. I have different series of accessories it seems so it was a trick to figure out exactly which table it worked on and how to adjust it. Just a big ol series of puzzles. The cast iron tilting fence in pic #5 & 6 are still a mystery as are the box(post marked from ‘89!!) full of cast widgets. I have two huge binders FULL of stuff and like most owners manuals somehow still are worthless and don’t show what I’m looking for. Like the saw table extension. Now that I have it figured out I have a piece of that aluminum guide rail that was separate from the original saw table I got from brother and think I’ll mount it on my 14” bandsaw so I can use that extension on it and the table saw fence too. Let the repurpose begin! soon as I find where I put that dang guide rail…doh!

Not being a woodworker I didn’t buy it for that. But I’ve never been impressed with the actual function of anything that has to be reconfigured. When I used such it seemed like that’s all I did. It became an annoyance and hindrance.

To me it is the one tool at a time that would be the issue. From what I've heard these work fairly well. For somebody extremely organized who can do all their cuts on the table saw, then the cuts on the bandsaw, then drill the holes etc it probably is a pretty nice thing.
I'm not that guy, I know I would break down the table saw, set up the next tool and then realize I needed to make 2 more cuts. In my shop, not a big deal because I just walk back over to the table saw and make those cuts (Oh who am I kidding, I don't have enough room to need to walk, I just turn around and make those cuts :D ).

To me it is the one tool at a time that would be the issue. From what I've heard these work fairly well. For somebody extremely organized who can do all their cuts on the table saw, then the cuts on the bandsaw, then drill the holes etc it probably is a pretty nice thing.
I'm not that guy, I know I would break down the table saw, set up the next tool and then realize I needed to make 2 more cuts. In my shop, not a big deal because I just walk back over to the table saw and make those cuts (Oh who am I kidding, I don't have enough room to need to walk, I just turn around and make those cuts :D ).
I’m very much the same. I lose my flow when having to constantly retool if it’s much of a rigmarole. The problem as I see it with the Shopsmith is having only one power source so it guarantees a rigmarole. I have to say having my mill/drill has made me much more methodical about what are all the steps and tools involved in order to not have to move the head and change Z.

My picture for this repurpose is the belt sander on the end powered by a spare motor i have with the motor slung underneath. The copy Baldor on the other end with the two saw tables in between. One for the Checkel and the other for the air bearing and universal vise. I have yet to be able to see if my idea that the relative heights between the saw tables is going to work. One puzzle at a time.

Of course there is no Shopsmith forum, but I decided to take a chance and get at least in the ballpark here amongst you woodworkers. Hopefully I won’t offend in that I actually bought the Shopsmith mk V to repurpose it into a tool grinding workstation.

As often happens I decided to go down this rabbit hole because I was gifted a complete Shopsmith saw table from my bother long before I got my Checkel, Baldor carbide grinder clone, K.O. Lee air bearing and universal vise. The Checkel and faux Baldor work great but the problem is trying to work the crazy height difference between them and the air bearing, vise and other grinding fixtures. Then I saw the old Shopsmith saw table with its tilt and geared height adjust and down the hole I go.

My criteria was met, cheap, good shape and local. It has belt sander, jig saw, bandsaw and joiner besides the usual headstock, tail stock and all kinds of gadgets and googaa’s I have no clue about. Most everything was jammed into boxes and totes so I couldn’t assess the machine except to see the headstock worked and did it’s speed change without weird noise. Also the way tubes weren’t rusty. I waved my 50yr ban on basket cases and am starting to regret it. It seems it went through several owners who were into disassembly before getting a clue and I think the hardware was in a box not included. And I’m realizing the belt sander would be a great addition to the complete cutter grinding station. But there is parts missing to the adjustable rest. And several crucial pieces that are not made anymore, and not on eBay. The Shopsmith forum forbids parts inquiries/sales and I don’t do faceplant or other forums. So you guys are it.
Here is a forum dedicated to Shopsmith and SuperShop multifunction tools on a woodworking site. There may be others, but parts are available from DanTheToolman (not me) and maybe others. Be ready to list the specific parts needed. Many of us could make the parts if needed given the specifications. Happy hunting.
Pro tip: if you liked the Shopsmith, you would LOVE a SuperShop. Much beefier, designed for metal and wood working. Same price range roughly, usually very lightly used even if "old". Mine were made in the '70s and work just fine. Most wear parts for Supershops are off the shelf hardware.
DanK

Here is a forum dedicated to Shopsmith and SuperShop multifunction tools on a woodworking site. There may be others, but parts are available from DanTheToolman (not me) and maybe others. Be ready to list the specific parts needed. Many of us could make the parts if needed given the specifications. Happy hunting.
Pro tip: if you liked the Shopsmith, you would LOVE a SuperShop. Much beefier, designed for metal and wood working. Same price range roughly, usually very lightly used even if "old". Mine were made in the '70s and work just fine. Most wear parts for Supershops are off the shelf hardware.
DanK
is it worth the 1900 bucks that the guy is asking for it?

1670257755530.png

is it worth the 1900 bucks that the guy is asking for it?

View attachment 428843
This version is a well made Chinese knockoff of the original Fox SuperShop. His price is inflated several hundred. Given the full complement of tools that came with it, $1200 would still be on the high side. Those are not cheap miter gages and there appear to be two of them, and several arbors with blades so there's that. I don't see the PTO drive adapter for the band saw. Those are scarce, but readily made. If it's close, see if it has good power (1 1/2 - 2HP) and good bearings. The headstock spindle has two bearings to Shopsmith's one. Good luck.
DanK
Edit: it occurs to me to mention that these copy Supershops made some changes in how accessories are driven. Notice that this band saw input shaft above lines up with the main spindle. Shopsmith accessories won't line up that way without a special adapter. The Fox supershops used the jack shaft for PTO output and it is much lower, and still requires a special mounting adapter for Shopsmith accessories. Here is a pic of the original Fox bandsaw designed for metal and wood. Only 12 made....and I'd kill (well, maim badly) to have one.
SupershopBandSaw.JPG

Last edited:
DanK
Thanks, looks like the thread is mostly about the SuperShop. Funny, a Chinese knockoff was on the local CL for like $100 but even though the guy said Shopsmith parts were interchangeable in the add I mentioned I’d like to try my saw table on it to make sure and never got anything back. Bad sign.

I'm beginning rue the day I ignored my 50yr ban on basket cases and brought this home. There are some really cool things I want to repurpose like the little table extension, saw fence, mitre gauge, belt sander etc. But I can see why Shopsmith is still around because everything is so proprietary/odd. Like the mitre slots are all different. Grrrrrr. If I had simple drawings or even just specs I could make the pieces called part #70 tilt slides for the belt sander tilt table, which of course they don’t make anymore but you can buy the whole tilt table unit for around $170. From the parts blowup I could fab up the slides but knowing Shopsmith they are some screwy thickness, Double grrrr. Each handle is specific to its tool. And now of course the owner who seemed so nice and told me if there’s anything missing let him know, is not answering his texts.

Thanks, looks like the thread is mostly about the SuperShop. Funny, a Chinese knockoff was on the local CL for like $100 but even though the guy said Shopsmith parts were interchangeable in the add I mentioned I’d like to try my saw table on it to make sure and never got anything back. Bad sign.

I'm beginning rue the day I ignored my 50yr ban on basket cases and brought this home. There are some really cool things I want to repurpose like the little table extension, saw fence, mitre gauge, belt sander etc. But I can see why Shopsmith is still around because everything is so proprietary/odd. Like the mitre slots are all different. Grrrrrr. If I had simple drawings or even just specs I could make the pieces called part #70 tilt slides for the belt sander tilt table, which of course they don’t make anymore but you can buy the whole tilt table unit for around $170. From the parts blowup I could fab up the slides but knowing Shopsmith they are some screwy thickness, Double grrrr. Each handle is specific to its tool. And now of course the owner who seemed so nice and told me if there’s anything missing let him know, is not answering his texts.
I have a ShopSmith like yours. I used it for many years before getting a nice table saw. Like someone said earlier I really like the big disc sander so I disassembled the unit and cut down the tubes to make it shorter. Now the tubes are just long enough to allow me to slide the table back to get the disc sander off the spindle. If you have the belt sander attachment you could have the belt sander on one end and the disc sander on the other end.

RogerL

I have a ShopSmith like yours. I used it for many years before getting a nice table saw. Like someone said earlier I really like the big disc sander so I disassembled the unit and cut down the tubes to make it shorter. Now the tubes are just long enough to allow me to slide the table back to get the disc sander off the spindle. If you have the belt sander attachment you could have the belt sander on one end and the disc sander on the other end.

RogerL
The headstock is just too big for my plans, but I’m also going to cut the tubes down once I’m sure everything is going to work like I plan. Good news is the old owner answered my last text so he has not ghosted me. Now if he can just find that box with all the missing hardware I can get the belt sander table working and get the headstock, bandsaw, jig saw etc ready to sell and I might just end up on the +$$ side of this adventure.

Just curious as I am cheap but has anybody tried re purposing the Shopsmith jig saw into a die filer? It sure seems like a nice unit and I'd sure hate to find out I sold it and could have used it. So far I don't think I've needed a die filer as I use my electric HF die grinder in my stationary mount for small detail work. But I don't do gun work and I guess that's where a die filer is crucial.

As it is I think I'm going to end up with an extra saw table and an extension table. The extension table is off an ancient 10E that has a cast iron mount that the later models don't use and my mark V has no way to mount. I was hoping it had the appropriate extension table as I wanted to use it to mount my HF Baldor type carbide grinder to the end of the base permanently. Lots of weird spare parts that I'm finding out are a mix of different models that I can only figure out by looking through ebay and finding my specific part and what it fits on. Much forensic research as usual with any tool/machine I'm not familiar with.

Back