Shortened the Barrel on my Stub Job SML Today.

epanzella

Active User
Registered
My go-to Smokeless Muzzle Loader for deer had a 22 1/2 in barrel. I thought an 18 inch barrel would make it easier to carry and more manuverable in a tree stand. It rained today so I had some time in my shop. I cut and re-crowned to barrel to 18 inches, then tapped a cupla 6x48 holes for the front sight. It came in at 32 inches OAL. This handi rifle SML stub job just got VERY handi!

Attachments

• a BEFORE.JPG
    a BEFORE.JPG
    572.5 KB · Views: 51
  • a DIALING IN.JPG
    a DIALING IN.JPG
    618.3 KB · Views: 48
  • a TAPPING FOR FRONT SIGHT.JPG
    a TAPPING FOR FRONT SIGHT.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 51
  • a u AFTER.JPG
    a u AFTER.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I like your drilling and tapping fixture. Looks like it can be set up on a surface plate and transferred to the mill, I like that.

I like your drilling and tapping fixture. Looks like it can be set up on a surface plate and transferred to the mill, I like that.
You're giving me more credit than I deserve, John. I just stuck my barrel vice in the mill vice because it was convenient. I did all my dialing in right there on the mill table.

You're giving me more credit than I deserve, John. I just stuck my barrel vice in the mill vice because it was convenient. I did all my dialing in right there on the mill table.
Well, there's more than one way to skin a cat. With machining and gunsmithing, it's not the path taken but the outcome that counts.

That looks an awful lot like a (breech-fed) Handi Rifle. What's the difference?

GsT

That looks an awful lot like a (breech-fed) Handi Rifle. What's the difference?

GsT
This gun started out as a 12 gauge version of the handi Rifle. I converted it to a smokeless muzzle loader via a stub job. For those not familiar with a stub job I took the original shotgun barrel and cut it off at 3 inches. Then I bored it out and internally threaded it 1 x 16. I purchased a .458 McGowen barrel blank in 4140 and threaded it externally to screw into the 3 inch "stub" barrel. Then the breech end is bored and threaded for a breech plug. Last step is to contour the barrel and mount the front sight. Now I have a 45 caliber smokeless muzzle loader handi rifle.

Attachments

• DSC_1041.JPG
    DSC_1041.JPG
    495 KB · Views: 13
Back