Should I buy a Shaper?

tony
my oil don't circulate any more, and my knobs are dull :confusion:

Bill
Tell us more about this 10 incher and prints.:)

I enjoy working with older machinery. I don't have a specific need for a shaper nor have I ever used one. They just look like a machine to have so I can watch it do its magic.

The purchase of a shaper would be because I want one.... or at least I think I want one. :dunno:

I have the space, a few extra dollars, and the desire to use one. What i don't have is a good reason to get one.

So, I would appreciate any comments on having or not having a shaper. I have read many post, not many disappointed shaper owners out there. But, I see them for sale all the time and they seem to go quick. Owners want to clear space, never use it, want to purchase something else, bought it but it sat for years, etc....

I don't have a specific shaper in mind and not in any hurry to get one.

Thanks in advance.
I have an Atlas 7 B and use it pretty often. I make bullet moulds, and the shaper does a better finish on the mould blocks than I can get with the milling machine. I do all the machining on the blocks with the shaper, except for the slots for the handles which I do on the mill, and the cavities, which I bore on the lathe. The shaper is absolutely the best way to cut the vent grooves on the blocks. I could cut the handle slots on the shaper, but can do it faster on the mill.

IMO: I would say YES...if you can't live without it. They're cheap and cool.

For me: I would rather use the space for a surface grinder, lathe or something that would get used a lot more...bit that's me. Floor space is like "unobtainium to me. If I wanted a shaper, and I had a Bridgeport mill, I'd buy a shaper attachment (see attachment).

I didn't know much about them until this thread. Thanks.

Attachments

• FS Bridgeport mill Shaper head.html
    17.1 KB · Views: 14
IMO: I would say YES...if you can't live without it. They're cheap and cool.

For me: I would rather use the space for a surface grinder, lathe or something that would get used a lot more...bit that's me. Floor space is like "unobtainium to me. If I wanted a shaper, and I had a Bridgeport mill, I'd buy a shaper attachment (see attachment).

I didn't know much about them until this thread. Thanks.

I like the shaper/slotting attachment. I passed on one a while back, someone was selling it on this forum and another. Wish I would have jumped on it.

My other shaper is a Perfecto 7" powered shaper. The tool holder is easily removed and I have made a power hacksaw frame that pivots from the top of the ram. Buying the Perfecto allowed me to dispose of a large homemade power hacksaw that was just taking up too much floor space compared to it's usefulness. The perfecto makes a fantastic power hacksaw that doesn't take up a lot of space and can occasionally be converted back to shaping duty as required. I don't have the space for a mill and shapers are just such fun and versatile machines.

Could you post a picture of this setup please. I am in need of some way to cut metal and do not have room for a power hacksaw. Thanks

Here are some pictures of my shaper and the subsequent power hacksaw add-on. Sorry the shed is a bit cluttered. You should be able to make out that there is a hinge piece that clamps to the top of the ram. The hinge pin can be pulled to allow the hacksaw arm to be quickly removed when I want to use it as a shaper. There is a simple hinged stay with a notched end that falls down to hold the hacksaw frame in the "up" position. There is also a big lump of lead bolted on to the frame to give it some down force. The lump of lead is baking-loaf-tin shaped because I just melted down a selection of scrap lead inside a baking tin heated on a gas cooker. I keep meaning to devise some way to lift the blade on the back stroke but that task hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. Sorry the last photo is sideways. I rotated it on my computer but it doesn't seem to have translated to rotation here.

116759414_full.jpg 080220161645.jpg 080220161646.jpg 080220161647.jpg 080220161644.jpg

An excellent extra purpose conversion. I like the lateral thinking.

I bought a 13" shaper about 3-4 years ago. I wired it up, oiled it, and haven't done a thing with it. BUT I wouldn't sell it for love or money! It's just too cool! Jake Parker

Back