Should I buy this Heavy 10?

dan97526

Registered
Registered
(This may be more appropriate in the beginner forum. If so please move.)

I don't have a lathe. Although I have done some wood turning I've never ran a metal lathe. I intend to learn to do my own gunsmithing. I found this Heavy 10 on craigslist. A Heavy 10 should do everything I wish to do. The only complication is that it's 400+ miles away so if I make the trip to get it I will very likely buy it barring any serious defects. Until I make the trip all I can do is request pics and email questions.

It looks good for its age to my untrained eye. There is a good bit of tooling and attachments to go with it. I was hoping to get some knowledgeable opinion on it.

Any particular known pitfalls that I may miss being a first time buyer? Any estimate of a fair price? Does it appear complete? Questions to ask? I've managed to educate myself a little over the past couple months, but I have no doubt I'm still pretty much in the state of not knowing what I don't know.

Incidentally, I haven't yet received a response from the seller on bed length/distance between centers. Can anyone tell by looking?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

01212_9h7lZCVIk18_1200x900.jpg

Reactions: Z2V
Has a threading dial, and taper attachment. Both worth a bit independently. I would just make sure to check the bed wear, and spindle run out, before you decide.

Appears to be in pretty good condition though, you will probably want to purchase a qctp, over the rocker style tool post. I'd say, if the price is reasonable, and it's something you want, go for it!

It's got cast iron bearings, if they are sound=ok.
You could pull off 1 cap and hopefully see a highly polished spindle looking back at you.

Well, they told you the good, I won't. It's got small dials, the old style quick change gearbox (I call it the one lunger) and I don't see a carriage stop. On the plus side it does have that useless taper attachment that you should be able to sell for the price of the lathe, unless he's asking some ridiculous price, ( as most heavy 10 owners do) and a 3 1/2' bed. (hence the yard stick). It also looks like it may have a single phase motor by the looks of the power cord that's hanging. I paid $750 for my new style heavy 10 with all of that above except for the taper attachment, and I thought I got a good deal at the time. (3 years ago) I wouldn't go more than $1400 on a new style machine, but like I said, Heavy 10 owners think they have 10 pounds of gold in the shop and someone, somewhere will pay the price depending on how bad they want it. Here's a new style one for $500 if you'd like to put some elbow grease into it, although it's in California. But I know of a hot shot driver from Oregon that delivered my Willie Boat cross country for a good price when I had it built in Oregon, and I know he's always looking for a back haul. If you'd like his # I'm sure I can dig it up.

Thanks, everyone. Given that the seller wasn't responsive, I'm guessing it sold.

The asking price was a little steep at $2,000, on the high end of what I see similar lathes listed for (no idea what they actually sell for). It did include a steady, some tooling, some accouterments I couldn't identify from the pics, and a four-jaw chuck. I wouldn't have felt like I got robbed, but I don't think it was any sort of bargain. The same money would have put me very close to a 10" PM, although I'd rather have old American iron.

Thanks, I'll keep my eye on that eBay one. I don't mind a little work.

Willie Boats is right next door (~30mi). They have an excellent reputation around here in the Rogue River country.

Best wishes,
Dan

On the up side from these issues, I've used my Hvy10 for many years for GS work. Mine has larger dials, but same single gear box and single phase power. I'm more than satisfied with it's 4ft bed, but hardly ever really need it. Taper is nice - I use mine frequently. If ways are clean and motor runs quiet and half nuts work well......I'd probably give it a good look. Check the belt - see it it has been upgraded - oil levels.....etc.

(Willie Boats is right next door (~30mi). They have an excellent reputation around here in the Rogue River country.)

They should have. They make the best boats and have the best customer service of any builder that I dealt with when I was looking to build a Great Lakes boat. They also support veterans with a 25% discount off the rig they buy, and the boat has a warranty for life. There isn't a day I'm at the launch that someone doesn't comes over and admire her or offer to buy her. It's built like a tank.

Back