Should I convert my Wells Index 747?

Bluedog

Registered
Registered
CNC experience: (None really) A few years ago, I converted an X2 mini mill using steppers, running Mach3. Mostly only used it for some engraving, and milling aluminum. Life got in the way, and I never learned a cad/cam program. I have recently been thinking about picking it back up and getting a more capable CNC mill. I have thought about buying a larger desktop mill and converting it or just biting the bullet and buying a Tormach.

So here I am now. I have a Wells Index 747 manual mill that is a great machine. It came with an Acu-Rite II 2 axis dro, that has served its purpose until now, but one of the readouts is dying. It doesn't have a power feed on either axis and I have considered at least getting a power feed for the x axis. I have considered that money for a new DRO and a power feed could go to a CNC conversion and solve both problems. I would like to keep the ability to use the machine manually and probably use closed loop servo motors. I've been reading about Jim Dawson's machine and it sounds very appealing. I'm reading mixed reviews on manual machining with ball screws.

Thoughts on the idea?
Thanks!

Interesting. What could possibly be wrong with manual machining with ball screws?

Only thing to be careful on with manual machining with ball screws is climb cutting. Small cuts. Otherwise not a problem. We have a Bridgeport at the shop that the cnc doesn't work anymore so it gets used manually all the time.

Wouldn't it be better climb cutting with zero backlash of ball screws?

Back