• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Should I get rid of my drill press?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Pcmaker

I have a 7x12 lathe and I just purchased a Precision Matthews PM-25V mill. I have an old Ryobi drill press that I'm contemplating of getting rid of. My "shop" is in my 2 car garage that has to share space with my car and other things, so I'm a bit short on space. I read that mills double has drill presses. If I get rid of my drill press, that'll give me some much needed extra space.

Lordbeezer

I have a drill press right beside my mill..use press most of time but sometimes I want a "better" hole..so I use mill..I would keep press...

pacifica

RGL
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I had a drill press, after I got a knee mill never used drill press, sold it.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I don't use the DP much for drilling holes, but it normally has a countersink in the chuck, great for a quick deburr of holes. Have a foot switch on it. It sits right at the end of my lathe, just a couple of steps from the mill. The lathe and mill face each other with only 36 inches between the hand wheels. The DP sits in what would otherwise be wasted space in the 18 inches between the lathe and the door. Positioned so that a long bar in the lathe just clears the DP column.

If you can find the room, keep the DP :)

ezduzit

Active User
I use one of my three drill presses more than I use my mill. Would never want to be without one. Not sure I'd say that about a Ryobi, though.

tweinke

Active User
I think a drill press has its place in a shop. nice for quick holes, counter sinking etc. and in my case more chuck to table space.

Mitch Alsup

I kept my drill press, for those situations where you have something setup on the Mill and before you can get to it, you need a hole drilled.

T Bredehoft

Active User
Keep the drill press, many times you'll want a quick hole and tearing down the setup on the mill can't be done because the hole you're drilling Is so you can continue milling.

gonzo

H-M Supporter - Donating Member
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
Keep it. You won't be sorry.

tjb

Terry
I kept my drill press, for those situations where you have something setup on the Mill and before you can get to it, you need a hole drilled.
Ditto.

tjb

Terry
Keep the drill press, many times you'll want a quick hole and tearing down the setup on the mill can't be done because the hole you're drilling Is so you can continue milling.
Ditto.

rock_breaker

Like the others have said projects in the mill will affect this greatly. I have kept my drill press and it does get a lot of use. So I lean towards keeping it.
Have a good day
ray

Smithdoor

Active User
I have a 7x12 lathe and I just purchased a Precision Matthews PM-25V mill. I have an old Ryobi drill press that I'm contemplating of getting rid of. My "shop" is in my 2 car garage that has to share space with my car and other things, so I'm a bit short on space. I read that mills double has drill presses. If I get rid of my drill press, that'll give me some much needed extra space.
Today I have just Mill/Drill do to lack of space.
In past I 6 drill press with power feed
But had big shop and had employees.

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

GoceKU

A good working drill press is worth is place in any workshop.

Charles Spencer

Active User
Pack up the drill press and put it into storage. After a while you'll be able to answer the question yourself.

aliva

Active User
keep it I use mine for quick job. I use the mill for bigger and more accurate holes.
Besides 2 weeks after you get rid of it you'll kick yourself in the ass

dlane

Active User
^what aliva said, I have two and want another US one or two

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
If I have a piece in the mill, I’d use it to drill a hole, but I’ve never purposely sought out the mill to drill a hole. But I also own big buck drill presses.

chips&more

Active User
A drill press is one of those basic machines that can be wanted and used in every hobby shop. But, I’m not sure about wanting to keep a “Ryobi” drill press, sorry…Dave

Bill W.

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
You're not going to gain a lot of space getting rid of the small Ryobi DP... Keep it... you'll be glad you did... Bill W.

schor

Not sure how good the ryoby is but I would keep it. I have 2 drill presses and a mill, would not get rid of any unless I had to. Benchtop drill press can get down to 100rpm which is good enough for some big holes in steel and it works great. Floor drill press for softer stuff and wood. 4-1/2" travel and 16" swing. Both from the 40's. I would goto a drill press to drill before I went to the m,ill top drill.

ELHEAD

Active User
I'm with Schor , except for the mill, which is to be the next acquisition. I have two dp's ( HF and Crafrsman) and cannot seem to be able to get rid of either. Oh yeah , I bout forgot one. Here it is
image.jpeg

royesses

I have a Ryobi bench top DP that I use for general hole making on wood, cast iron and anything that makes a mess and does not require precision. I would never get rid of it.

Roy

Eddyde

Staff member
I have a mill and three drill presses, though only two are currently working. I also leave one with a countersink always in the chuck. The smaller bench top drill press, I use for quick one off holes and smaller sensitive work. Of course for drilling holes at precise locations nothing beats the mill.

oskar

H-M Supporter - Donating Member
I also have a very small shop and I will never get rid of my DP. I can make holes on the edge of 4 feet long pc as per attached. I dont have amill but will never be able to to this work on one. DP is very versatile

Attachments

stuartw

I gave away my DP & regret it the mill is more accurate but for quick holes the press is much faster.

Hawkeye

Active User
One more vote for keeping the DP. I have a mill/drill and 4 drill presses. I use all of them. And I ran out of space about 4 machines ago.

Pcmaker

This is gonna be tough. I've been trying to find space for my drill press all this time. My mill hasn't arrived and it's gonna go where my drill press is sitting on now.

[6]
[5] [7]