Should I get rid of my drill press?

A drill press is one of those basic machines that can be wanted and used in every hobby shop. But, I’m not sure about wanting to keep a “Ryobi” drill press, sorry…Dave

You're not going to gain a lot of space getting rid of the small Ryobi DP... Keep it... you'll be glad you did... Bill W.

Not sure how good the ryoby is but I would keep it. I have 2 drill presses and a mill, would not get rid of any unless I had to. Benchtop drill press can get down to 100rpm which is good enough for some big holes in steel and it works great. Floor drill press for softer stuff and wood. 4-1/2" travel and 16" swing. Both from the 40's. I would goto a drill press to drill before I went to the m,ill top drill.

I'm with Schor , except for the mill, which is to be the next acquisition. I have two dp's ( HF and Crafrsman) and cannot seem to be able to get rid of either. Oh yeah , I bout forgot one. Here it is
image.jpeg

I have a Ryobi bench top DP that I use for general hole making on wood, cast iron and anything that makes a mess and does not require precision. I would never get rid of it.

Roy

I have a mill and three drill presses, though only two are currently working. I also leave one with a countersink always in the chuck. The smaller bench top drill press, I use for quick one off holes and smaller sensitive work. Of course for drilling holes at precise locations nothing beats the mill.

I also have a very small shop and I will never get rid of my DP. I can make holes on the edge of 4 feet long pc as per attached. I dont have amill but will never be able to to this work on one. DP is very versatile

7D Vertical Drilling.JPG

7G Horizontal Drilling.JPG

I gave away my DP & regret it the mill is more accurate but for quick holes the press is much faster.

One more vote for keeping the DP. I have a mill/drill and 4 drill presses. I use all of them. And I ran out of space about 4 machines ago.

This is gonna be tough. I've been trying to find space for my drill press all this time. My mill hasn't arrived and it's gonna go where my drill press is sitting on now.

Back