Should i install power switch in the handle for my metal cutting chop saw?

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I'm at the point when i need to mount a handle on the chop saw i'm building, i have two questions, i'll like some advice.
- Should i make the handle just straight piece of pipe or make a square handle at the end ?
- Should i install a small switch and use an motor starter so i can turn on and off the motor on the handle or i'm better off just mounting a switch near the handle?
Link to the build: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/shop-build-beast-of-a-chop-saw.66035/

I personally like switches in the handle. Both my chop saw and compound miter have handle mounted switches. I like the fact if I release the handle the saws turn off.

Mine has switch in bottom of handle..seen couple of times I was glad I could let go ..

+3 on having a switch under/at the handle. Easier to use and safer for the user IMHO.

After talking to couple of people i've decided not to install a switch on the handle, with 10 HP electric motor and all that turning mass it won't stop on a dime, i always have the ability to install one later.

As a conservative electrical man, I am in favour of a switch that shuts off when I let go. A contactor would be a necessity, a starter even better. (It has overload heaters) If you are bound to use an external switch, be sure to locate it where you can reach it when things start flying. Always plan for worst case. You may never need it, but if you do...

For what it's worth, I'm pushing 70 real hard. And still got all my fingers and toes. After building houses, and machining, and driving heavy equioment, and welding, and burning, et al. And both eyes... Only use one at a time now, but either one works.

Bill Hudson​

Back