Should I replace my lathe spindle bearings with angular contact bearings?

I can't seem to find 45x75x20 ANGULAR CONTACT bearings anywhere..perhaps they don't make angular in that size. I guess tapered Nachi's is the best I'm gonna get?

True that may make for more chatter in rough turning. though for those finding passes its all about having that near zero run out.
Logan lathes such as my 210 had duplex angular contact bearings, so doing so is nothing new.

Well, that is great information guys. If I had the option of a few thousandths run out and rigidity, for what I do, I'd much rather had less chatter...not to mention I have some great bearings out there that fit as is.
:aok:

My only experience with swapping bearings comes from my G0704 spindle which I took from tapered roller bearings to angular contact bearings

I found that I didn't have the precision and cleanliness in my home shop to easily do the retrofit. Afterwards, I found the performance to be slightly improved but nothing to write home about. I feel that the bearings are very touchy to the amount of preload I applied. An extra 1/10 of a turn on the jam nuts took me from free play to bearings that would get burning hot.

Acb's need to be shimmed to precisely control preload. Taper roller bearings are more forgiving.

Back