Should I sell my just restored lathe?

That's what I was thinking. Any suggestions for a price? I was thinking something around $3,000. That's high, but I have money and time in the current machine.
If $3000 is what "You" feel is a fair price (Fair to You not Him! you dont want to offer Him a fair deal or it wouldn't be a high enough price) for your time and other investments then that's what it is. Mind you that you will need to Replace your "Working in good condition" lathe so i would probably check the market out to see what i would like to buy then go from there and i would make it very very clear to the potential buyer that the price is NON Negotiable! Good luck.
If he/she Balks at the price and tells you that newer better machines can be had for cheaper then I suggest that you respond with a friendly smile while saying "OK" or "Thats Nice but my price is $3000 unless you would like to pay me more?"

Last edited:
I suspect you have more into the restoration than you will recover- I'm sure the profit margin on restoring old Atlas lathes is not huge- who knows? Your customer may feel it's worth more since you worked on it

The 3996 and 101.28990 are the same except for nameplates, badges and model numbers. Atlas/Clausing built both of them. They were the final versions of the Atlas designed lathes that they built. Both are 12x36. The same lathes except in 12x24 are the 3995 and 101.28980. All four are cabinet models. They also built bench models of all four.

Back