Should I split the collar?

raferguson

Registered
Registered
In the course of repairing my old RV, I found that the slide motor that I had was no longer available. I bought another slide motor, but it has 3/4" round output shafts instead of 3/4" square outputs. There is a fair amount of torque involved in moving a slide. The old 12V gearmotor was tagged as 58:1 gear reduction. Figure output of maybe 5 rpm.

I was planning to make an adaptor; take a few inches of 1.25" steel, bore one end for the shaft, and then mill a 3/4" square on the other end.

The 3/4" shaft has a hole for a 1/4" bolt. I am concerned that the shaft might move inside the adaptor, especially since my machining skills are limited, and it is certainly not going to be a press fit. Should I take the adaptor and cut a slit in the round end, such that the bolt will clamp the adaptor onto the shaft? I have attached a sketch.
adaptor.10.3.2022.jpg

It certainly would not hurt to do the slit, however, I'd carry the slit further back so that the bolt could more easily contract the hole tightly in the shaft.

is the hole going to pass through the shaft?
yes - ok to slit as benmychree states
no - dont slit else the bolt will open the slit and loosen the fit

IMHO, try to get as tight a fit as you can and not do the slit. But if you do go that route, I'd cross drill a hole at the end of the slit to eliminate any sharp corners that might promote cracking.

Get the best fit possible and use a roll pin thru... and forget about it.:)

Last edited:
Back