Should I take a machining course...or not?

great white

Active User
Registered
Yeah, this is pertty much an opinion question with no right or wrong answer. I also recognize that the only one who can really answer that question is me. But I don't mind bouncing it around for discussion.

First, let me give you some background:

I'm retiring RCAF (28 years).
There is a "re-education" program where they will pay for two years of training, up to $25,000. You have to successfully complete your training, or they may try to recover their costs. It's a "use it or loose it" benefit and it has to be done in the first two years after release.
There's a local college (NSCC- https://www.nscc.ca/learning_programs/programs/plandescr.aspx?prg=MACSD&pln=MACSHOPDIP ) that offers a machining course and it's almost always open to students up until the last month or two of enrollment. It's just not a big draw around here, unlike welding, auto mechanic, etc.
The course has two "work periods" that is built into the program (ie: you have to source an employer in the field and record your work experience).
I'm 52 and I'll be 54 when I'm released from military service. I'll be 56 when finishing schooling.
There's not a big demand for machinists around these parts. Some, but not a lot. Mostly welding/machine shop that deal mainly with welding (both in shop and off the truck).

So, I'm actually not really concerned with reaching journeyman status. I would be over 60 when that happened, by the requirements of the provincial apprenticeship program.

I have to check on the "work experience" portion of the course, but I'm not really interested in doing that either. I'm looking to semi-retire and possibly work part time.

40Hrs a week is not what I'm looking for, especially with my "issues" and my pension (nothing extravagant, but more than enough to be livable).

I've always enjoyed working with metal and am usually quite proud of myself when I turn out something on my old Atlas TH42. Nothing complicated to be sure, I wouldn't even bring myself up to an "amateur" status.

So I'd really be taking the course to gain some skills at something I enjoy and maybe do a few small projects for cash on the side. Simple stuff like motorcycle foot-pegs, wheel spacers, axles, etc.

I don't have to reach journeyman status for the training, I just have to graduate from the course.

So opinion time:

Am I wasting my time taking the course (assuming I can complete it)?

2 years of 8 hours a day--+ schooling is a fairly large commitment, especially when I don't have intentions to do it full time or even get my journeyman status. I don't really need to make money, but some "supplemental" income would be nice. Just a couple bucks here and there.

When I think about it, I guess I'm really mostly looking for something to occupy some time and a little extra cash flow.

Last edited:
I think it sounds like a great idea, but you are the guy that will have to dedicate himself to succeeding in the course. Too me it sounds like a great plan, but again that is me. Everyone has to do their own thing right?

sounds like you need to look up mrpete222 on youtube he pretty well covers all aspects of machine shop thru his videos'.... 2 yrs in school don't sound like much fun at that age just to learn to tinker on a few small projects. he also offers paid online video courses for a few machines atlas/southbend lathes and Bridgeport mill.... ive not seen theses but from his free videos I can imagine they are pretty good

I've looked at machining course in my area and decided not to enroll. The courses are very structured and they were including things that I wasn't interested in learning. I'm sure that you will learn something, but I believe that you can learn and teach yourself much more and what you want to learn, at your pace, by actually using your own machines and tools. There is so much information on the web today. Through trial and error, you can teach yourself quite a bit, on your time, on projects that you enjoy. I would put the school money towards books, tools and machines. This is my opinion only. I do stress safety and following good practice of course.

Reactions: Z2V
Other than the government paying for your school are you being paid during those two years?
You're still working full time during the two years?

I'm wondering how much of the course is dedicated towards cnc machining as opposed to manual machining. Learning your way around machines safely is the most important, but with common sense and help from others like the people here it can be done without schooling. If you intend to get a job machining then yes take the courses but a lot of hobbyist just learn as they go and build their skills and confidence over time. There's a lot of good info available at your fingertips. Remember the only stupid question is the one u didn't ask.

Plus the generals you'll be required to take are not very enjoyable.

Great White I think some of the options depends on what kind of shops are in your area. From a machining perspective, in some areas there are job shops that repair industrial equipment, etc...one off jobs. A lot of these are not worth setting up CNC equipment, and in a lot of cases depend on clever ideas to salvage broken stuff.

If you think that you would like to get more training so that you can do stuff from home then you will need appropriate equipment in the home shop. I know you have an Atlas 42", but you will no doubt need a mill. And all this depends again on the size of projects you would be willing to take on, and more important the size of projects that most folks would like.

As has been mentioned there are many youtube videos from very experienced folks that are willing to share their experience. I have learned a lot.

David

That's a heckuva commitment for something you plan to do as a hobby/moonlighting gig. Also a lot of potential liability if you don't complete it.

T'was me, I'd pass.

I'd be more interested in a few week long Adult Education class. In fact, now that I think of it, I should look around and see what's out there.

I'd pass on it too, especially if you are financially comfortable now. Spend the time in your Man-Cave making neat stuff! (and drinking beer, but not at the same time) :D
Mark

Back