Should I Try To Use This Milling Head, or Sell It And But/Make Another?

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
As mentioned in a previous post, I obtained a Benchmaster horizontal mill for really cheap. The original manual mentions that this mill can easily be converted to a vertical with their vertical attachment. Of course, it is impossible to find such an attachment, since it is hard just to find Benchmaster mills for sale alone. So, last week, I picked up a Bridgeport right angle anglettachment for $100. I thought it might work (with modifications) on my horizontal mill; howver, this Bridgeport head is pretty big (compared to the mill). I like how it turns very smoothly, and would use R8 collets, just like my mill drill.

However, would I be better off selling this Bridgeport head and either buy a modified Emco MT2 lathe tailstock, or make one (without the quill) out of a spare craftsman 101.21400 (metal lathe) mt2 headstock or Record Power RPM 300C (wood lathe) mt1 headstock?

Btw, I plan on using one of my inverter duty or vector duty motors on the mill for variable speed.

What HP motor would you recommend for my Benchmaster? I need to find me a man since my mill is still in my car since it's so heavy, lol!
Thanks,
Susan

**Btw, I do not plan on doing this project anytime soon. I just want to know if I should keep the Bridgeport, or sell it mostly**
20180701_235142.jpg20180714_142904.jpg20180714_142920.jpg20180714_142940.jpgScreenshot_2018-07-14-14-40-51.pngScreenshot_2018-07-14-14-40-44.png20180623_151934.jpg20170729_171830-1-1.jpg20180714_151251.jpg

Last edited:
A horizontal mill is very useful(ridgid) and compact so I would use as it is. Cutters are plentiful.

Looks like the Emco headstock would be pretty easy to adapt, you can easily sell the Bridgeport right angle head for twice what you paid for it on eBay.

Sell the Bridgeport head. Reading some of your past posts, you have a small shop space. I’d try to invest in some tooling that lets you fully utilize your horizontal Bench-master so you maximize your shop space. Maybe convert to a vertical head at a later time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sell the Bridgeport head. Reading some of your past posts, you have a small shop space. I’d try to invest in some tooling that lets you fully utilize your horizontal Bench-master so you maximize your shop space. Maybe convert to a vertical head at a later time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. That sounds like a great plan @ vtcnc

If you can find a Bridgeport m head , it would work on your mill. Pm me the price on the right angle head if your selling it . If I have some money I may be able too. The m head will give you better use then the little maxi mat.

Susan, you either need more shop or less stuff. :) I would go with more shop :grin:

Adapt a vertical head from another machine, or you could build one from scratch. The right angle BP adapter probably is not the best for that application, but it's worth more than you paid for it.

Back