Shout out to Precision Matthews

Firstgear

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Special thank you to Tony who helped diagnose my PM950 problem with me. I have had the mill since January and have used sporadically.

I am modifying one of my cameras L bracket to accommodate my WIFI transmitter. I am making a couple of bracket extensions but when I went to change tooling and restart the mill, it turned on but didn’t go into a higher speed.

I called PM and Tony helped me over the phone. After working through the issues he sent me a new high speed switch that mounts at the top of the motor where the switch is activated by some spring loaded weights that lower down on the contact and once connection is made the motor kicks into high speed.

Thanks Tony and PM.
330C3348-6E99-4BA6-AF94-787B2FAACA4F.jpeg

Attachments

• EDE1A069-E1CA-459A-A48A-ADC703208472.jpeg
    EDE1A069-E1CA-459A-A48A-ADC703208472.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 124
What you are describing and what you show in the photo looks like the start winding switch. Centrifugal force pushes the spring loaded weights against the u shaped bronze piece in front of your finger in the photo causing the contacts to open.

At any rate, it sounds like you are back in business. I expect that the old part can be cleaned up and kept for a spare should the problem reoccur. As others have said, this is not a common occurance so there may be another factor at play. Like a shorted winding causing a higher than normal current draw.

What you are describing and what you show in the photo looks like the start winding switch. Centrifugal force pushes the spring loaded weights against the u shaped bronze piece in front of your finger in the photo causing the contacts to open.

At any rate, it sounds like you are back in business. I expect that the old part can be cleaned up and kept for a spare should the problem reoccur. As others have said, this is not a common occurance so there may be another factor at play. Like a shorted winding causing a higher than normal current draw.
unfortunately you may be right. After I got it back together and running, I was milling about 1/8" wide on a piece of aluminum to take up where I left off. All of a sudden smoke came pouring out of the vents, I thought perhaps the motor was set too high, but by the time I decided that wasnt the issue I could see flames under the vents and by the time I got to the switch the circuit breaker had already kicked.
We are headed out of town for the better of two plus weeks....figuring out what got smoked will have to wait until I get back....GRRRRRR

I guess I don’t know what you are talking about. Unless you have something to add to the thread I started, please move along.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. ;)

So did you figure out what let the Factory Smoke out?

I was kinda thinking the same thing. ;)

So did you figure out what let the Factory Smoke out?
Not yet.....I was so disappointed with it when it happened I just walked away. Given that I saw flames shooting down from the motor area I can guess as you can too at this point. Circuit breaker kicked, 40 amp 220V....UGH!

We are leaving for Rome tomorrow and won’t be back for about 2.5 weeks. When I get back I will get into the bugger...probably will start with pulling the motor off. Anyone have a guess how much that weighs?

Is that a 3 or 5 hp? Motor? If I had to guess I'd say probably between 30 and 40 lbs., but that's just a off the top of my head guess. :)

Is the mill still under warranty?

Enjoy your trip to Rome. The mill will still be here when you get back. ;) (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

Enjoy your trip to Rome. The mill will still be here when you get back. ;) (sorry, couldn't resist) :D
Well, maybe the house will get broken into while we are gone and the alarm system will malfunction and the only thing they take is the mill! Ha!

Back