Show Me Your Bench Rests

You mentioned bench rest in your original post which is not like F class where you move to different distances and lie on the ground. In bench rest score shooting, once you are set up on the table, you have to shoot at six bulls on one target so there is lots of moving around on the target. Because there is a time limit, I prefer to be able to reach all six bulls using only the joystick. The benches don't move. For different distances its the target that is moved to the new distance. Usually, a whole day is reserved for one distance. Again, not like F class at all.

The range of movement is especially important for BR50 rimfire targets because they are shot at 50 yards and there are 25 different bulls to shoot at on the same target.

Joysticks don't lock because they are pre-tensionned with friction, counter weights or springs, to hold the weight of the rifle without sagging. The centre post is adjustable with a mariner wheel but once it is adjusted to the height required, it is locked. From there, the joystick moves the top bag within a smaller range of horizontal and vertical movement.

Example of a 100 yard bench rest score target:

View attachment 238219

I'm sorry - I was really not clear in my answer. I am interested in a front rest for bench rest shooting.

The range I'm using is a bench rest only range - it has the 25, 100 and 200 yard targets. The other range, the 300/600 yard range, appears to be class F only, but I'm not sure. I have never used that range.

Single elongated holes at 200 yards are my immediate goal. So far, I get the occasional two shots that overlap at 100 yards, but not consistently.

Hi I have family in Melbourne , now let's get some help on the shots . One tip I always use even hunting when able. Line your shot up slow your breathing down to the point you can feel everything stopping. Eventually with practise you can slow your heart rate . When your ready for the shot exhale till you stop breathing for the split second you squeeze the trigger. I guarantee when you learn to stop everything but your eye on the target and the slow squeeze of the trigger.then you inhale get the blood pumping to get set for the next shot. The more you don't move the better the shot placement.
Took me years to develop control of the involuntary muscles , but the top shooters do it .

Interesting. I've never thought the initial setup was annoying, because it's one time before a string of firing. My club has ranges available at 25, 50, 100, 200, 300 and 600 yards. In any case, I usually practice at one or two, and the elevation change is done once. The club's long range seems to only mention Class F shooting; either open or service rifle. One distance, nothing that holds the rifle is allowed, just something under the fore end and a bag or something under the stock.

Is rapid changing between distances so that you have to change vertical position of the rest a type of competition? I would like smoother adjustments, but speed isn't a priority.

Do those joystick rests lock so that once you're at the right height, they won't move?

Bob

Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club?

the 6oo yard range your talking about is used for "sling shooters" and F-Class.. F-Open are the ones that use this style of rest. F/TR (Target Rifle) use a Bipod. The most popular front rest for F-Open is the SEB NEO
20170724_045027.jpg
i myself am a former "sling" shooter. Did it for 14 years. Tried my hand at F/TR and now i am dabbling with some Benchrest, mainly ARA 22lr. But i want to build a 30BR maybe.. But for now, all i have is my 223, but i may back the barrel up and convert it to a 22BR for Score.. i am interested in UBR at the moment.

Hi I have family in Melbourne , now let's get some help on the shots . One tip I always use even hunting when able. Line your shot up slow your breathing down to the point you can feel everything stopping. Eventually with practise you can slow your heart rate . When your ready for the shot exhale till you stop breathing for the split second you squeeze the trigger. I guarantee when you learn to stop everything but your eye on the target and the slow squeeze of the trigger.then you inhale get the blood pumping to get set for the next shot. The more you don't move the better the shot placement.
Took me years to develop control of the involuntary muscles , but the top shooters do it .

This is my ritual. I'm working on slowing heart rate, and it seems like first comes feeling it.

Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club?

the 6oo yard range your talking about is used for "sling shooters" and F-Class.. F-Open are the ones that use this style of rest. F/TR (Target Rifle) use a Bipod. The most popular front rest for F-Open is the SEB NEO
View attachment 238269
i myself am a former "sling" shooter. Did it for 14 years. Tried my hand at F/TR and now i am dabbling with some Benchrest, mainly ARA 22lr. But i want to build a 30BR maybe.. But for now, all i have is my 223, but i may back the barrel up and convert it to a 22BR for Score.. i am interested in UBR at the moment.

That's my club. I joined seven years ago. I started shooting when I was 14, but lost it as I got older (it also got harder to drive off the end the road and go walking with your gun). My favorite thing to do as a teen was to plink at junk - like we'd pick up 20ga shotgun shells and shoot at them from 10 or 20 yards away. I still have that rifle. Remember the Remington Nylon 66?

Picked it up again about 10 years ago. Working from my Caldwell rest, I've always been able to get a 30 round AR magazine into about 4" circle at 200 yards. I just upgraded my rifles. Got a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm learning what it can do and what I can do with it.

I don't want to copy a design anyone is selling, but I'd like to make something like that SEB NEO.

I know what you mean, i had thoughts of it too! You know Gary Eliseo sort of did so..

&

This is my ritual. I'm working on slowing heart rate, and it seems like first comes feeling it.

I don't want to copy a design anyone is selling, but I'd like to make something like that SEB NEO.

This was a project My students made in second year Precision Machining.

100_1414.JPG

USMCDOC, thanks for the links to RFCentral, much appreciate your help.
I have addressed the same issues on the Rock BR and then some. Having a lathe certainly came in handy for some of the work.
Interesting how many different approaches there are to 'fixin' those issues. It leaves me wondering why Caldwell did not put more thought into their designs.

This is a early model seb. If you shoot benchrest I highly recommend a joystick style rest, I was a bag squeezer for 3 years and would never go back after getting my seb

20170626_140557_006.jpg

USMCDOC, thanks for the links to RFCentral, much appreciate your help.
I have addressed the same issues on the Rock BR and then some. Having a lathe certainly came in handy for some of the work.
Interesting how many different approaches there are to 'fixin' those issues. It leaves me wondering why Caldwell did not put more thought into their designs.

Your most welcome, glad to have passed the info on to you!

Back