Show Off You Ars

Actually all of that proposed rule only pertains to licensed manufactures. If you make it your self you don't have to change anything i stated above.

What the proposed rule will likely do is cause unfinished 80% AR receivers to be sold with a serial number and markings like a finished receiver. However you can still build one from scratch, a so called 0% build. And in the case of firearms other than AR's you could build your own.

The proposed rule doesn't change the law about selling, transferring, or gifting between individuals.

What are the requirements if you build your AR from an unserialized lower and then decide to sell it (not passing the threshold of being a manufacturer) in a state that requires passing through an FFL, will that require serialization before transfer?

Actually all of that proposed rule only pertains to licensed manufactures. If you make it your self you don't have to change anything i stated above.

What the proposed rule will likely do is cause unfinished 80% AR receivers to be sold with a serial number and markings like a finished receiver. However you can still build one from scratch, a so called 0% build. And in the case of firearms other than AR's you could build your own.

The proposed rule doesn't change the law about selling, transferring, or gifting between individuals.

This new requirement is step one in the three step plan. The second step is criminalizing possession of a semi-automatic rifle. If it's not serialized then step three (confiscation) becomes much more difficult.

What are the requirements if you build your AR from an unserialized lower and then decide to sell it (not passing the threshold of being a manufacturer) in a state that requires passing through an FFL, will that require serialization before transfer?

Here is a FAQ clip that answers it nicely:

Can I sell a completed 80% lower? Does it a serial number?​

Under federal law, you can sell a completed 80% lower. But importantly, you cannot make an 80% lower receiver into a firearm with the intent of selling it. This would make you a firearm manufacturer, which is illegal if you don't possess an FFL.

If, however, you build an 80% lower-based firearm for personal use and later decide to sell it, you can under federal law. You don't need to serialize an 80% lower receiver to sell it wherever a state allows private gun sales to take place without an FFL transfer. Some states require background checks or transfers on all gun purchases, including private sales, and some states have again banned 80% lowers. If you built one in a state that has now banned them, it is probably best not to attempt to sell that firearm. It is most likely very illegal.

If you were to sell the weapon to an individual in another state, the transaction will require the weapon to be transferred through an FFL. Whenever a weapon is transferred through an FFL, paperwork must be filled out and a background check must be conducted. To do that, the completed lower or frame needs a unique serial number engraved on it.

Want to get an AR build started before the new rules shuts everything down. Cost of kits and ammo, I'm considering this:

I'm low on the learning curve, but will any of the 80% receivers work, or do I have to get a 9mm specific forging?
Anyone have a basic reference to help a newbie cut through the lingo and sales-speak?

You need a 9mm forging in the mag style of your choice- Glock, MP5, or Colt. You will probably have to do what I did and mill out a jig plate to fit the 9mm receiver. OR- you could save a lot and just buy a serialized lower.

I wouldn't expect much from Delta Team. It's heavy, clunky, cheap-feeling import stuff, I swear Orem is a clearing house for rejected parts runs. Try Aero Precision. That's good stuff and reasonable.

I thought you could use any lower but have to adapt the mag And a new bcg. You could also buy a specific 9m which is the route I’d go. 5d tactical has some nice ones. Ive seen some places already enforcing the policy of having transferred to ffl instead of direct sale.

You need a 9mm forging in the mag style of your choice- Glock, MP5, or Colt. You will probably have to do what I did and mill out a jig plate to fit the 9mm receiver. OR- you could save a lot and just buy a serialized lower.

I thought you could use any lower but have to adapt the mag And a new bcg. You could also buy a specific 9m which is the route I’d go. 5d tactical has some nice ones. Ive seen some places already enforcing the policy of having transferred to ffl instead of direct sale.

Going other than a "standard" magazine brings some options. For 9mm, you can use a standard AR15 forging but you will have to have a magazine adapter and you are only able to use straight "stick" mags for colt or I think you can modify Uzi mags. If you want to use Glock mags you have to get a specific forging with the magazine well and release for Glock and you can't use any other mags in it. You can also get specific forgings for using CZ Scorpion mags, or as was said H&K MP5 mags. Keep in mind you cant mix mags in a lower, it is specific.

Glock mags are probably the most available and affordable, but they extend toward your grip instead of away like the others. Some folks can't accept that and swear away all Glock lowers just on looks. If you get a standard lower the stick mags hang straight down, but the magazine well is oversized for it, and to me at least makes it look odd. Scorpion mags and MP5 mags look more 'correct' to me. I went with Glock mags because I already have Glock pistols so I can use any of the mags I have.

Look at New Frontier Arms, they make several different lowers in 80% for various mags.

A good friend of mine (Macon Armory) has perfected the feed issues with his 9mm uppers and they will run in DI or blow back on almost any lower. I know that's not the question but I say that to say he puts his faith in Angstadt 9mm lowers. I've learned to trust his opinion greatly. You can look him up on ARF and other websites, or go to his site. (Google Macon Armory.)

They do take the funky looking Glock mags but you can't argue with their success. Personally I'm going to make an Uzi adapter and run those mags.

I did a New Frontier 80% 9mm lower. It worked great, but had a plastic mag release and was very heavy. When Washington banned 80%ers, I bought a serialized Aero 100% lower to replace it, and the difference was significant. The Aero (and PSA and a few others) have a nice aluminum mag release and are otherwise very similar. The New Frontier has a little recess milled next to the ejector that catches brass and causes jams. Not good for PCC matches. The Aero lower cost less than an 80% and a jig. I use a CZ Scorpion and the AR9 in PCC, and my splits are a good bit faster with the AR9. The AR9 is so easy to tune. With 33 rd KAI mags at $15 and the ability to use any 9mm Glock mag you can find makes it a no brainer.

I do have an AR-15. It's no big deal, A PWA lower and a Colt A2 upper. I actually prefer my AKs, but I feel that anybody who wants an AR15 should have one. I put it together more than 25 years ago and put A1 furniture on it so it looked like the M16 they gave me back in 1970.

But I do have 3 other ARs. Two are made by Charter Arms. The one below is a Gen 1 Henry Repeating Arms "survival rifle". I'm thinking about writing a book about fixing (!!!) and moding the AR-7. A "survival rifle" isn't worth anything if it don't go bang every time you pull the trigger.

AR7 001.jpg

Back