Show us what you made with your Southbend lathe!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Let us see some of the projects everyone has made on their lathe! I know there are a lot of creative people on this board!

Best,

Nelson

Here is my Cross slide hole driller. Its great for small holes without removing the part from the lathe to go to the drill press just to go back to the lathe for another step...Bob

lathe 015.jpg hd5.jpg hd4.jpg fp2.jpg lathe 014.jpg hd3.jpg hd.jpg hd1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a big nose center i made for turning 2" pipe and other large openings. I also use it for my die handle to get the die straight on short threads. It is just an arbor with 2 bearings on the one end and a #2MT turned on the other. Then the big cone just slides over the bearings and is held on with a sheetmetal cover...Bob

lathe 011.jpg 63c2[1].jpg

Here is a little alum knob i made for my computer speaker. It was my daughters Dell and the knob was missing and i got tired of turning that little stub. I used my cross slide hole driller to drill the #21 hole then tapped it 10-24. It even has a "chatter" finish on the fron for decoration. I have mastered that finish well...Bob

lathe.jpg

Bob,

That is a great idea and very practical!

I can really use one of those cross-slide hole drillers because once I take the part out of the chuck, I will never get it back
in the same way after drilling on the drill press.

Thanks for sharing that with us!

Best,

Nelson

Here are some more pics when i was building the cross slide hole driller. Just build yours to suit. But my next one will be an offset block for cross drilling that way i can use longer drill bits. Mine is great for small drills and drilling towards the lathe chuck. I can also angle the drill block for crooked holes. That was my whole reason to make this work so i could do furnace tips from work that had holes drilled at goofey angles. Figured it would save a whole bunch of setup in a mill or drillpress...Bob

drilling block.jpg the start of the block.jpg scribing the lathe centerline.jpg tee nut.jpg shaft threaded for small jacobs chuck.jpg tee nut in slot.jpg bronze bushing.jpg my next version.jpg overviews.jpg recessed back for the tee nut.jpg shaft.jpg block cleaned up.jpg jacobs chuck screwed on the shaft.jpg drilling .625 hole b.jpg

Bob thanks for sharing that, That is going up on top of my need to make list.

Paul

Re: Show us what you made with your lathe!

Just make sure you make the shaft and bronze bushing as tight as possable to keep shaft movement down. I drilled an oil hole on top of the block and fill it every now and then...Bob

Here are some pictures of tooling I made for SouthBend lathe I sold a few months ago.

Terry

carraige.jpg follow .jpg drill part.jpg rocker.jpg stop.jpg part.jpg turret.jpg ball radius.jpg follow.jpg follow  .jpg steady.jpg

Here are a selection of tooling I used to make a living with as a Diesel engine mechanic.
All produced using a 10K Southbend.

Terry

diesel tools.jpg

Back