Show us your Atlas lathe setup!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi Folks!

Let's see those Atlas lathes from Kalamazoooo here in this thread, along with the tooling and modifications you have made!

Enjoy!

Best,

Nelson

Thanks for including the Atlas owners! I'm looking forward to some different perspectives.

What? You thought I had wisdom to dispense? Not so much, Grasshopper!

I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve. Give me a year or so, and I might have more to contribute than questions. Until then, I will be quietly lurking in the dim shadows, stealing ideas and learning from the mistakes of those who have gone before me.

Then, I will launch my nefarious plans for world domination based on the capabilities of the Almighty Atlas Lathe. Bwahhahahah!

Well, OK, so maybe I should rethink that plan.

Where's the embarrassed shamefaced smiley?

Anyway, I expect to have fun here.

knudsen link=topic=241.msg715#msg715 date=1289223773 said:
Welcome aboard, Gravy! Looking forward to seeing your lathe. Hope to see some howto or hownotto pics as you proceed in rebuilding her. ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

Hope you have lots of patience regarding the howto/hownotto. I'm way behind the curve on stuff I really need to do. The fun stuff will be in the back seat for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my 9" Atlas. From the design of the castings, this one was built in 1931 or '32. It runs on babbit bearings and the through hole has been bored out to 1.000". It works for about 85% of my projects... 12% of the time, I wish it was bigger, and 3% I wish it was smaller. The thing I really wish it had was a quick change gearbox.

Hi, just signed up on this fourm and did an intro. This is my first "real" post :) Here are pictures of my two Atlas lathes, a 6" and a 12". I just got the 12" and will probably get rid of the 6" to make rooom in my garage.

The 6" that I restored:

IMG_0974.jpg

The 12", Mod 3986. I am still setting it up:

IMG_1216.jpg

knudsen link=topic=241.msg2251#msg2251 date=1293991076 said:
Wow! That 6" looks like new! Exactly what I learned on... except "mine" bore a Craftsman name tag.

Well actually it is a Craftsman/Atlas.. see ? there I go polluting the forum with mis-information already :)

IMG_0816.jpg

before I painted it:

IMG_0798.jpg

That 6 is just about the same color I... errr.....she painted my SBL. But I picked out the color.

Patrick

shovelhead link=topic=241.msg2327#msg2327 date=1294080774 said:
Here's my 6 wearing the original paint. Still have to build a decent bench/stand to attach the drive motor, etc.

Very nice!! It looks like it had very little use.

I don't know if I would paint that or not..

Hey!! Isn't that my blue steady rest that you borrowed?? ;D

I agree on the new is sometimes cheaper. My little 12 inch has a worn tumbler gear and for S&Gs I'am going to call clausing and price a new 36 tooth tumbler gear as my zemak bore has worn beyond its life span. Depending I might try and make one on the Atlas mfb with a pair of 4in indexers or a 5c spin index its an easy 10 degree so just moving the plate one hole and cut the proper size tooth...

Atlas craftsman 12 inch setup 004.jpg Atlas craftsman 12 inch setup 003.jpg

Back