Show us your big old classic Trucks

Fun post. Being a die-hard Ford guy I'm loving your trip back in time, and lusting over those ohhh so cool Super Duty hood scoops. In 1966 I had my first paying job (Worked for my dad from the time I was ten for considerations provided, I.E>, a roof over your head, and food in your belly ( which I have no argument with in hindsight ) :). It was at Johnny's DX In Muskego Wisc. They had a tandem tractor with a 534 gas V-8, just music to the ears. It was used in conjunction with a tanker trailer to haul fuel for there facility. It was a wash your windows, check your oil Mam or Sir, wonderful time of my life (Seemed to enjoy the mam's a great deal more at that age as I recall). Just to be around mechanical things with an inquiring mind. Twas like heaven. Not to be totally branded, I must admit, as a young man to being impressed by the " Screaming Me-me's " as my Dad called them, super charged 2 stroke, 4 cyl (God forgive me) GM diesels in those unforgettable early cab-overs of the era (all brands), burning black out the stack like a coal fired locomotive. I feel blessed to have lived in a time that has experienced so much change in such a relatively short period of time, and fostered so much amazing technological innovation . Mike

Well said and true, folks today do not know what the have missed. Modern cars & trucks look horrible.

My 1968 IH 1200C. Bought it in Utah. Used to be a fire chief's truck for a company named Thiokol. Company sticker is on the inside of the door. 304 V-8, 4x4.

68 IH.jpg

very nice clean looking 68---up here they would be all rusted out---Dave

Thiokol seemed like a name I remembered from somewhere. I looked it up and they were the outfit that took the blame for the space shuttle Challenger explosion.

Looked like they were an interesting outfit back in the day...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiokol

I agree with Dave...very few IH trucks survived the winter salt treatments in these climes. Yours is a nice specimen indeed.

Bear,

Looking real good. Did you paint it yourself? Is that a small block Ford V-8?

Keith

Bear,

Looking real good. Did you paint it yourself? Is that a small block Ford V-8?

Keith

Yes, I am doing the paint myself... If you look close, you can tell its not a professional job...

The engine is a '74 model 302 with '69 351 windsor heads. The transmission is an AOD from an '89 T-bird.

It also is getting power steering and power disc brakes.

-Bear

The engine is a '74 model 302 with '69 351 windsor heads. The transmission is an AOD from an '89 T-bird.

Imagine that a Ford in a Ford. Round these parts seems as if only gm small-blocks fit in Fords.
By the way she's lookin good. Keep up the good work.
Dave

Back