• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Show us your big old classic Trucks

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Heckle and Jeckle

Fun post. Being a die-hard Ford guy I'm loving your trip back in time, and lusting over those ohhh so cool Super Duty hood scoops. In 1966 I had my first paying job (Worked for my dad from the time I was ten for considerations provided, I.E>, a roof over your head, and food in your belly ( which I have no argument with in hindsight ) :). It was at Johnny's DX In Muskego Wisc. They had a tandem tractor with a 534 gas V-8, just music to the ears. It was used in conjunction with a tanker trailer to haul fuel for there facility. It was a wash your windows, check your oil Mam or Sir, wonderful time of my life (Seemed to enjoy the mam's a great deal more at that age as I recall). Just to be around mechanical things with an inquiring mind. Twas like heaven. Not to be totally branded, I must admit, as a young man to being impressed by the " Screaming Me-me's " as my Dad called them, super charged 2 stroke, 4 cyl (God forgive me) GM diesels in those unforgettable early cab-overs of the era (all brands), burning black out the stack like a coal fired locomotive. I feel blessed to have lived in a time that has experienced so much change in such a relatively short period of time, and fostered so much amazing technological innovation . Mike

Well said and true, folks today do not know what the have missed. Modern cars & trucks look horrible.

Dave Smith

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
very nice clean looking 68---up here they would be all rusted out---Dave

LeakyCanoe

Thiokol seemed like a name I remembered from somewhere. I looked it up and they were the outfit that took the blame for the space shuttle Challenger explosion.

Looked like they were an interesting outfit back in the day...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiokol

I agree with Dave...very few IH trucks survived the winter salt treatments in these climes. Yours is a nice specimen indeed.

BajaScout

Swarf
Registered Member
Bear,

Looking real good. Did you paint it yourself? Is that a small block Ford V-8?

Keith

682bear

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Bear,

Looking real good. Did you paint it yourself? Is that a small block Ford V-8?

Keith
Yes, I am doing the paint myself... If you look close, you can tell its not a professional job...

The engine is a '74 model 302 with '69 351 windsor heads. The transmission is an AOD from an '89 T-bird.

It also is getting power steering and power disc brakes.

-Bear

ELHEAD

Active User
The engine is a '74 model 302 with '69 351 windsor heads. The transmission is an AOD from an '89 T-bird.
Imagine that a Ford in a Ford. Round these parts seems as if only gm small-blocks fit in Fords.
By the way she's lookin good. Keep up the good work.
Dave

682bear

I'm a little particular about keeping Ford engines in Fords...

But... I'm using a GM power steering pump, Volvo relay system to control the electric fan, BMW temperature switch (for the electric fan), and a Jeep parking brake linkage...

Maybe I should call it a 'Frankentruck'...

FOMOGO

Active User
Good on you for keeping it Ford powered. It gets very wearisome seeing the same old orange lump 350/350 combo in everything under the sun, and now too, the next generation LS in everything. Chevy builds some good stuff, but no better than Ford, and why do the same shtick everyone and there brother is doing? A little originality (both meanings implied) is a good thing. Very nice truck. Cheers, Mike

682bear

20170412_083158.jpg

I now have the bed back on... (the fender and running board is just mocked up).

20170421_173339.jpg

The bed floor is installed...

20170517_112808.jpg

Steering column...

20170601_143614.jpg

And shifter.

I have also finished the brakes and cooling system and finally cranked the truck. It runs great! I don't have a throttle assembly installed yet, but I did idle it out of the shop and then back in...

-Bear

[6]
[5] [7]