Show us your garden

eugene13

Registered
Registered
Here's why I don't participate very much during the warm months, my 25 ft X 50 ft vegetable garden, water is expensive here so I have everything on a drip system. In the foreground (that you can't see) are the pumpkins, lettuce, carrots, kale, onions, beans, and leeks, all of this is just now coming up, and where I'm standing is squash, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, fennel and more peppers. All surrounded by an 8 ft high smooth wire fence energized with a Gallagher solar charger. Very entertaining when the current crop of mule deer fauns are out and about. My wife and I can and freeze a lot but we share with the Senior Citizens and the local food bank. It would probably be cheaper to buy at the store, but it's good exercise and I just like to grow stuff. The second picture is a box of U-joints given me by a friend, they're marked GM-Delphi and have a sliding shaft, if anyone needs one they're free, just pay postage. The last pic is my rusty wrench collection that I finally got around to hanging up on the wall, the two stillotsens on the left I got from my grandfather, those are his keys hanging between them, and the rest I got from yard sales and junk stores. Happy Summer Everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 92
That's a great garden! I have two, 4x8 planters with some herbs, tomatoes and strawberries, but it doesn't compare to your operation. It's great you are looking after our seniors.

yes Sir! Nice plot. I need some Bees to come around. Lots of flowers on Melons, Cukes, Squash.

BTW that hill behind you (a mountain in this area) is lacking only a nice Howitzer :)

Both my parents were big into gardening. When we were kids we lived in the country. My dad was into vegetable gardening and my mom loved her flowers. The main vegie garden was about half an acre. Then there was the watermelon patch, the pumpkin patch, the fruit trees, and of course a patch to grow gourds for decorations. In total there was about 1 acre in fruits and vegies, and another 1/4 acre in flowers.

Every spring dad would plow and disk the gardens. Then the whole family would lay out the rows and begin planting. As things started to grow the 5 boys were assigned rows to weed and hoe. Dad would do the cultivating with the tractor, but the tedious hand weeding was done by us kids. We knew everything would taste good and there would be an abundance to eat and give away in the fall. Somehow it still seemed like punishment to crawl around the garden on our hands and knees weeding the plants in the hot summer sun. It seemed like the job never ended. By the time you got through every row it was time to start all over again.

When my wife and I got married she thought growing some veggies would be fun. I bit my lip and said SURE. I cut the sod, rototilled the plot, laid out the rows, planted the veggies, and sat back to admire my work. That lasted about a day. The rabbits, squirrels, and birds immediately came to feast. By the end of the summer the only things left were a few scraggly tomato plants. When the tomatoes did start to ripen once again the rabbits showed up.

For a summers work we had about half a dozen half ripe tomatoes. That was as far as it went. We pulled up the remaining plants, rototilled one more time and planted grass seed. Now I drive over the area with the mower every 4 to 5 days and smile.

Last edited:
Thank you, my neighbor in the white house in the background has the bees and I'm one of those crazy people that doesn't mind pulling weeds, but mulching with grass clippings nearly eliminates that chore and helps conserve water. My biggest threat is spring thunderstorms with hail, this is my favorite time of year, I will post more pictures as things grow, thanks again.

I love the planning and planting but hate the maintenance, luckily swmbo enjoys the maintenance side.
Just finishing a glut of wing beans and loofa (eaten as a veggie), still producing heaps of kang-kong, Okinawa spinich, sweet potatoes, passion fruits, basil, thyme, oregano, paw paw and those twice dammed cherry tomatoes, the bananas have just flowered so another 6-8 months for those. We will have left the house when they ripen.
No pics, too lazy.

1st pass through then sweet corn with my 1964 Cub Cadet model 100 and Brinly cultivator.
Was late getting it in due to all the rain last month.
Will hit it one more time (I hope) before it gets too tall in a week or so.
Was going to use the walk behind tiller but the rows were too close together for comfort.
This was more fun anyway!!
DSCN7913.JPGDSCN7914.JPG

Fin , ya gotta luv them Cubbies ! :encourage:

I have a Cub that was sold by Montgomery Ward, it sat in my neighbors yard for years before I bought it, all it needed was a new ignition. It's an 80s vintage and you can still get parts for it, just now replaced the deck belts and idlers. It's name is the Turd Launcher, it's kind of ratty but it gets the job done and it saved the summer four years ago when the wife's new Craftsman rider puked and engine after only two hours running. Ok here we are with a months growth, all we needed was some warm weather and some rain, so far we've dodged the bullet with three thunderstorms. Sorry about the lack of pictures, the rest are all too big to download.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 50
Back