Show us your Logan lathes!

New member here . I've had this Logan model 1955 since 1982 . Get this, my Mother in Law bought it for me . It came with a three jaw , a four jaw , a follow rest , a back plate , and lots of extra gears that I'm not sure of their use . I was able to find a genuine nos Logan taper attachment still in the original unopened factory box . The instructions are type written and dated 1955 .
This lathe seems to be quite accurate . I did an alignment test with a 2" aluminum round stock . Only .0006 off in 5 1/2 inches .
Steve

View attachment 122010 View attachment 122011 View attachment 122012 View attachment 122013
I hope your machining skills are better than your posting skills. I get seasick looking at these upside down photos.

New member here . I've had this Logan model 1955 since 1982 . Get this, my Mother in Law bought it for me . It came with a three jaw , a four jaw , a follow rest , a back plate , and lots of extra gears that I'm not sure of their use . I was able to find a genuine nos Logan taper attachment still in the original unopened factory box . The instructions are type written and dated 1955 .
This lathe seems to be quite accurate . I did an alignment test with a 2" aluminum round stock . Only .0006 off in 5 1/2 inches .
Steve

Steve, very nice lathe - and congrats on getting such a nice mother-in-law! BTW, if you could scan the taper attachment instructions (or take a photo of them) and post them that would be very helpful to other taper attachment owners.

John

MisterFixit,

It seems that someone edited the JPEG standards a few years ago and must have hit the wrong key before saving it. For the last several years some people see a given photo as OK rotation-wise and some see it as inverted. Which way you see one depends upon what your JPEG viewer is and which version of the standard the camera or phone maker used. They look fine to me.

Steve, very nice lathe - and congrats on getting such a nice mother-in-law! BTW, if you could scan the taper attachment instructions (or take a photo of them) and post them that would be very helpful to other taper attachment owners.

John

This is the only instruction that came with the taper attachment , I hope this helps ....Steve00FDDFC3-415B-4555-BACB-4E6501E79F20.jpeg

I also have a Logan 927 that I recently cleaned up. It's pretty beat up but works for me :). I had a spare 1HP Yaskawa servo lying around, so I rigged that up to replace the original motor/belt system. I was getting some belt slippage, so I started running 2x 1" flat belts at the same time to see how that would work. Haven't used it much yet since installing the servo(2 days ago) since I seem to have messed something up when re-assembling the clutch and power feed does not work anymore. This model uses regular deep groove ball bearings which I'm not thrilled about, but I replaced the original ones with some Nachi bearings and it seems to work very well with the bellville washer preload. Still have a good number of things left to fix, but this is where I'm at now.

Attachments

• 20190623_144131_1598894439547.jpeg
    20190623_144131_1598894439547.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 58
  • 20200830_170802.jpg
    20200830_170802.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 20200831_102518.jpg
    20200831_102518.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200831_102525.jpg
    20200831_102525.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
I also have a Logan 927 that I recently cleaned up. It's pretty beat up but works for me :). I had a spare 1HP Yaskawa servo lying around, so I rigged that up to replace the original motor/belt system. I was getting some belt slippage, so I started running 2x 1" flat belts at the same time to see how that would work. Haven't used it much yet since installing the servo(2 days ago) since I seem to have messed something up when re-assembling the clutch and power feed does not work anymore. This model uses regular deep groove ball bearings which I'm not thrilled about, but I replaced the original ones with some Nachi bearings and it seems to work very well with the bellville washer preload. Still have a good number of things left to fix, but this is where I'm at now.
Your drive belt setup is going to give you problems if the drive pulley is only one size. You're basically trying to spin the lathe at two different speeds at once. I'm also not sure what you're talking about with the bearings. This lathe takes the standard New Departure bearings, and the deep groove ball setup is pretty common for this era. Are you just saying you'd rather it be a tapered roller bearing?

Your drive belt setup is going to give you problems if the drive pulley is only one size. You're basically trying to spin the lathe at two different speeds at once. I'm also not sure what you're talking about with the bearings. This lathe takes the standard New Departure bearings, and the deep groove ball setup is pretty common for this era. Are you just saying you'd rather it be a tapered roller bearing?
Hi OldManPatterson! You can see from the pictures that the drive belt pulley is stepped like the spindle pulley. Yep I would prefer angular contact or taper roller, but I can convert it myself if I find the need later on down the road. Your fallout theme is very fun. The cabinet differences are interesting. I want to put some small drawers on the right side, but that will be a project for another day. I can easily fit some under my motor on the left now though!

Bought this 11" 1922 lathe about 8 years ago and am just starting to put it back together. I've been stripping it down piece by piece over the years.

Edit: I've also been working on making a CAD model from my lathe. Attached a picture of the CAD progress so far.

Attachments

• GWPS6412.JPG
    GWPS6412.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 22
  • HTDA0095.JPG
    HTDA0095.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2866.JPG
    IMG_2866.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png