Show us your Logan lathes!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hi there owners of Logan Lathes!

This is the place to show us what you got and post photos of your Logan setup and tooling!

Enjoy!

Best,

Nelson

How anybody can successfully go through life without owning a lathe is beyond me. My Logan is in nice shape mechanically, but really needs a makeover in terms of paint. It actually looks better in real life than in these photos, which seem to highlight traces of rust and discoloration! It will hold a couple tenths over several inches. I use it almost every day for something, other than on the coldest days of winter- the garage isn't heated.

http://www.conradhoffman.com/Logan%20Tricks.html

Feel free to wander through my other projects on the site as well.

Best,
Conrad

Hi Joe- very nice! Nearly identical to mine, but you have the original post that holds up the motor frame. It also looks like you have the original "dipper" for white lead in the tailstock. I'd love to see a closeup of it pulled out. I made a brass replacement with a little carved out spoon end, but I've never actually seen one. Is your paint original? The color looks close to the hidden areas of mine where I can still see the blue. I can't see any shims under the legs, but if you haven't leveled it, you should. Mine was on an uneven floor in some factory for decades, and when I got it the bed had developed some permanent twist. It's taken a long time, but it's finally settled down after keeping it leveled for many years. I used to use stacks of aluminum roofing flashing to shim the legs. Be sure to back out your threading dial from the lead screw when not in use- reduces wear.

OK Loganeers
What do you think this should bring all features work as they should ...Logan/monkey ward same as Logan model 815 ??? ? Monkey /Ward model Powr-Kraft Model 04TLC-700 10 ( what does that translate in ' logan models )???
i'm going to look at it this tuesday ...
joe

!B-)+!y!!mk~$(KGrHqEOKkUEzHjyRCezBM9q33,5Pg~~_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well ...... the above Under-cover Logan 815 ....on the lamb as a Montomery Ward 04TLC-700 ser # 5221 is mine. :-*.. ALL MINE ;D
I went and looked at it yesterday and bid at the very end ;) and I am the proud new owner. turns out it was built in 1943 so it's a year younger than I am ::). it is actually in very good shape but the cosmetics ( the easiest part for me ) shall be made like new
The ways are spotless it has always been well crared for and the machine is complete ( as a bench model it never came with a stand and now sits on an old home made one . if i could find an origional style floor stand and a " chip pan" from the same period I would be in "lathe heaven"
It came with a 3 jaw chuck and a reverse set of jaws for the chuck as well as a couple of tapers and a jacobs type chuck for the tail stock if anyone has or knows of any used accessories for this unit i would be interested in purchasing them.
I also i would like to know what make and model and HP the original motor would have been as the present one 1/4 hp is not origional...it works fine but not origional.

I will be talking to Scott Logan in the near future as the seller has talked with him about this unit..... I'll sleep well tonight.
joe

Conrad Hoffman link=topic=185.msg1823#msg1823 date=1292786505 said:
It also looks like you have the original "dipper" for white lead in the tailstock. I'd love to see a closeup of it pulled out. I made a brass replacement with a little carved out spoon end, but I've never actually seen one....

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, busy around here. Mine was repainted during the restore by a local guy who i bought it from. He does amazing work on these old machines. Here are some shots of the dipper.

This is a little Model 400 I picked up a few years ago from the estate of a friend of my father. It had sat unused for a number of years, and has since I've had it, so I haven't looked closely at it's condition. I knew the owner, who was an engineer and rather meticulous and he took good care of it during his lifetime, but the relatives didn't take very good care of it. Without going into the whys and wherefores I have the opportunity to set up a small satellite workshop and think this machine might be just the ticket for that although I have a rebuild of a machine I need worse in line in front of it..

I don't know the exact condition of the bed, at a glance it appears to be generally in overall decent condition, but IF I wanted to have it reground who is doing that work now?

I also don't know anything about the Model 400, it's production period, age, etc, although certainly without Q-C and additional apron controls it was an economy machine.

LOGAN400.jpg

This is what I Bought a month ago. I stripped it down, located Bull gear and reverse gear from Joe@Plazamachinery.com in L.I. ( great guy and a huge help as this boat anchor is a Very early Logan 820 whiched used a somewhat unique Bull Gear....Joe Found one for me. I also replaced , mostly because I didn't want to do it after .... Spindle bearings in head stock and motor bushings in the Origional ' Peerless" 1/2 HP 220/110 motor and re wired it for 110. The new paint is a mix of Hamerite Dark Blue & Hammerite Black (Equal parts) and in person is much darker than Photos indicate.
It's going back together, nicely now, should be up and running in about a month ( pending completion of honey-D0 list that never ends).
With the Leg stand, chip pan and bed Painted &assembled I can begin to glue on parts as I get them done....LOVE IT !!!!

Back