Show us your Logan lathes!

I had no idea this thread existed until now. I'll be posting my 1950s 922 later tonight when I get home :)

This is my 1951 model 922. It has an 11" swing, 55" bed, and is 36" between centers. I got it for $900 already restored off of craigslist from a guy who didn't have room for his machines any more. I think that was a great deal for Arizona, but I had to buy it out of his storage locker and it was in pieces. I've had it since 2011 but had no room (or power) to set it up myself until my shop was completed this spring. The only things wrong with it were broken teeth on the bull and back gears, but with luck and patience I found good ones cheapish on eBay. It runs great, but I'm just starting to learn the ropes and haven't got the skill yet to determine if the ways are very worn or how good the spindle bearings are. I've managed to get quite good precision out of it already though.

It came with a little old school tooling, three and four jaw chucks, and a baseplate. I added the Chinese tool post and the two steadies and I have most of an original taper attachment. I'm just missing the cross slide. I'm going to complete the casting shown in the third pic rather than get an original though. The atlas compound on the chip tray might end up on the new cross slide rather than the original. We'll see.

IxPJSjq.jpg
tKeGWZ1.jpg
ZgeLTtK.jpg

Wow, this thread surely brings back memories. I just had to dig out some pics of my old Logan. It was an old beat up machine but I made a lot of stuff with it. A relocation forced me to sell it and despite having a modern machine now, I still miss my old buddy.

LOGAN LATHE.JPG LOGAN TOOL HOLDER.JPG

Hi Epanzella,
I like your gray and red color scheme. That's how I'm doing my in-progress restoration.
See my "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration" thread in this folder.
Here is today's shot, after finishing the QCGB overhaul.
qcgb reassm 13.jpg

Greg

qcgb reassm 13.jpg

Hi Epanzella,
I like your gray and red color scheme. That's how I'm doing my in-progress restoration.
See my "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration" thread in this folder.
Here is today's shot, after finishing the QCGB overhaul.
View attachment 64982

Greg
Hey Greg,
I can't take credit for the color scheme, I got it that way. I owe that machine a lot. It was my first lathe and it took me from "knowing absolutely nothing" all the way to "knowing almost nothing". Your restoration is really looking good.
Ed P

I just picked up this Logan 200 Lathe serial #15012 built in 1942. Everything works but needs a little TLC. I'm replacing the cross feed nut, belts, and back gear. I'll probably clean everything up and do a little painting as well. Here's a picture as it is now:

lathe3.jpg

lathe3.jpg

MBfrontier,

It looks like you also have a great project underway. Yours is two years older than my Logan 820, but looks to be in better starting condition.
(See my posting in this thread two messages back, and my "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration" thread in this same folder.)

Question: In your photo, what am I seeing to the left and below the chuck, on the front of the headstock? Even with magnifying, I can't make it out. But I'm guessing it may be a motor reversing switch. I see a drum switch down in the lower left, but maybe, like my machine, the drum switch maybe does forward in both positions? Given that my only chuck (at this time) is an 8" 4-jaw, that's probably a safety feature.)

I hope you are enjoying the overhaul as much as I am with mine,
Greg

Hey Greg;

I've been researching them.

What you are seeing is the all too rare original power switch. For some reason everyone seemed to dislike these, as there are virtually none of them I've seen that are intact and functional. There may be some electrical versatility in the later drum switch that Logan went to using, and I am totally ignorant of electrics, but I would think the original switch was quite effective. Does it have to do with 3-phase? On Montgomery Ward lathes, I believe some of these were simple on/off switches, and they remained in this location for some time. I'm guessing that one of the premium features of the "higher end" Logan versions that came out a few years later was a reversing function in the same switch location. The early Logans used this switch, but after about 1943 they seem to have transitioned to the much more common drum switch mounted on the rear primary drive guard frame.

The first attachment is a 1947 MW lathe with the simple on/off version. The second shows the Logan version with reversing available.

I am keenly interested in purchasing a very good condition original switch plate for my 1942 200 #15235 restoration. If anyone ever sees one, I'd appreciate a ping!

LoganWards1947.JPG Logan200switch.jpg

Back